Breda Fowl thread

Pics
O
I checked back through my laying records and my first pair of Breda started laying at 31 weeks.

Their daughter is now about 28 weeks old.  Since she was hatched 10 weeks earlier in the spring that her parents were last year we were hoping the day light would favor her to start laying with out being hampered by short daylight hours or cold weather like out Breda were last year.  Wow...16 months?  I start to wory after about 8 months if I don't see an egg.

One has laid occasionally but rarely, the other had pale wattles and was never in the nest. She just started. That is why I looked for a different line to hatch out this year.

Do you think you will cross your lines (if you can get any eggs to even hatch from the first line) to grde up the original line, or do you plan to just go with the new line if it pans out for you?

Last edited:
Do you think you will cross your lines (if you can get any eggs to even hatch from the first line) to grde up the original line, or do you plan to just go with the new line it it pans out for you?
I

I hadn't planned on breeding the original line. The blue has crooked toes and the black wasn't laying till now. I will probably leave them in the laying flock and move forward with the newer Bredas.

Woops.
hide.gif

Last edited:
My cockerels are really feathering out nicely now. Can't wait to see them in adult feather. I have 2 pair of blues and 3 pairs of blacks. Going to have to decrease the rooster population.

I did it! I just purchased 10+ Blue/Black Breda eggs!!!
celebrate.gif
Happy dance, happy dance, happy dance...
clap.gif

I'm wondering though, does anyone know if Bredas have been accepted in the APA?

To be an APA accepted breed an application with the proposed breed standard, breed history, economic qualities, etc. has to be made to the APA with a non-refundable $50 fee. Then the breed has to be show at APA sanctioned meets for a minimum of 2 years. Affidavit sign by the APA judges have to be kept stating that more than two exhibitors showed birds in each of the four categories, 1) Cock 2) Hen 3) Cockerel 4) Pullet. I don't remember how many of these preliminary meets are required, but after the you breed has been establish, then a qualifying meet is held where I think 5 entries are required in every category (number?) and five breeders have to sign an affidavit stating that they have worked with the breed for a minimum of five years each and that the North American bloodlines breed true. The judges them look at the consistency and quality of the breed to the written breed standard and make their decision on whether the breed qualifies to be a recognized breed. If the breed qualifies, the body that made the breed application has to pay for changes to be made to the APA publication if they want it included in the APA book which runs about $500.

So...getting a new breed accepted as an APA breed takes a lot of work. The Breda is defiantly a breed. Just not a North American breed. There are lots of foreign breeds that fanciers can choose to keep in North America. Their is nothing wrong with not being an American Breed. Some breeds like the Cuckoo Marans have been here for decades, but breeders don't want to breed them to the written standard (The APA accepted written standard for the Marans is for feathered feet and too many American breeders would rather breed for non-feathered feet than to have an APA recognized variety so while other Varieties of Marans are NOW APA recognized the Cuckoo variety which was the first on North America don't look like it ever will be).

You don't have to have an APA recognized breed to show it at an APA show. All breeds can be shown (and it is required for them to be shown as unrecognized birds to establish the breed before they can become a recognized breed).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom