Breda Fowl thread

Pics
my first hatching of breda chicke Im so excited this little one has such featherd legs does any one know if they feather out really fast do they tend to be girls like other breeds or does it matter

I know it's not sanitary or safe for chicks but how can you not help kissing them to death!!! LOL

I have lots of pullets and cockerels in my Blue pen if anyone is interested. I have a gorgeous glossy Black roo that is about 9 months old as well who is ready for his own group.

My newest members, in the mottled and barred varieties are doing great! Boy are they ugly at this age!!!! I should have a viable group by Spring 2015. Below are pics of adult versions I found on the net that I HOPE these little guys will resemble
bow.gif

I have lots of pullets and cockerels in my Blue pen if anyone is interested. I have a gorgeous glossy Black roo that is about 9 months old as well who is ready for his own group.

My newest members, in the mottled and barred varieties are doing great! Boy are they ugly at this age!!!! I should have a viable group by Spring 2015. Below are pics of adult versions I found on the net that I HOPE these little guys will resemble
bow.gif

Chicks or adults they all resemble Dinosaurs! Hey, our family LOVES Dinosaurs! You know me chalk - I'm looking forward to Breda in 2015! Before I became a senior I would've driven across State to get these guys but alas the last couple years I've had to depend on shipments to get my juveniles. My DH is looking forward to a Blue and if your Mottled come out like the adult photo we're hooked!

Brie hanging out with my peacock this morning
smile.png

I have a Marans and a Lav Orp that wet broody and I can't break, so I gave them the Breda eggs I ordered. First time using a broody, hope I get some chicks!!!

Last edited:
Brie hanging out with my peacock this morning
smile.png

I have a Marans and a Lav Orp that wet broody and I can't break, so I gave them the Breda eggs I ordered. First time using a broody, hope I get some chicks!!!

That's a stroke of luck having broodies right when you need them! My last broody, a Buff Leghorn, just snapped out of her broody after 5 weeks. The Silkie thought she would try going broody but since we didn't let her into the house after she stopped laying eggs, she decided it was too hot to brood in the coop and rejoined the flock to forage. After the broody bug it takes Silkies 3 to 6 months before they start laying again. We're waiting on the Buff Leg to start laying now that she's out of her broody mode. I got a Leghorn because they don't go broody but apparently the Buff's are an exception.

Moreese and Brie are so beautiful. Do you find their feathers around the yard? I read someone say the Breda can break toe feathers sometimes. I know peacocks can lose a tail feather just walking around.

That's a stroke of luck having broodies right when you need them! My last broody, a Buff Leghorn, just snapped out of her broody after 5 weeks. The Silkie thought she would try going broody but since we didn't let her into the house after she stopped laying eggs, she decided it was too hot to brood in the coop and rejoined the flock to forage. After the broody bug it takes Silkies 3 to 6 months before they start laying again. We're waiting on the Buff Leg to start laying now that she's out of her broody mode. I got a Leghorn because they don't go broody but apparently the Buff's are an exception.

Moreese and Brie are so beautiful. Do you find their feathers around the yard? I read someone say the Breda can break toe feathers sometimes. I know peacocks can lose a tail feather just walking around.

Thank you! :)
My Breda is very dainty, she hasn't broken any feathers. But I have heard that can be a common problem with the breed. Brie kinda struts around like a princess haha.
I haven't gotten any peacock feathers yet either. He doesn't have his typical "eye" tail feathers yet, they should come in next year. I hear they molt them every year, so I should be getting them all over the yard.

And yes the broodies were good timing. I've never used them before, but they seem to be doing their job. I'll know for sure in a couple weeks!

Back
Top Bottom