Breda Fowl thread

And here is what they will look like in 2-3 months.

The splash translates to "salt and pepper" is some languages. It is mostly white with a some flecks of blue/black here and there. The blue is my favorite color in chickens. Good quality blues have a baby blue ground color with thick black lacing on each feather. Like seen below. Black are well black. Good quality should have a green sheen to it. Poor quality could have a purple or red sheen to it, but it black all the same.

I'm new on this thread, but I have a question for experienced Breda breeders. I have a black pullet, a blue pullet, and a blue cockerel (almost a year old). I was hatching some Campine eggs, and I had extra room in the incubator for eggs. Since the Breda eggs were showing fertile (bullseye on yolk), I stuck 5 of them in the incubator They all hatched healthy babies. 3 blues and one black. And one yellow one.

He/she has feathered feet and the bump on her beak. Is this a standard Breda color, or is she a cross. The other possibilites are a young true Aracauna cockerel (who doesn't have the breeding thing going yet -- he keeps falling off) or a very large English Orpington Jubilee cockerel. I doubt it was the Orp because the two groups don't usually cross over. I know the parent stock is pure. I know the chicks hatched from eggs from both of the Breda pullets because their eggs are slightly different.

Many white chickens hatch as yellow or smokey color chicks. Ever seen White Leghorn chicks? -- all yellow down when first hatched.

Wow, that blue rooster is gorgeous.
That is actually an Andalusian Hen. Here is the Andalusian Rooster.

They are very similar in color to the Blue Breda, but they could never be confused because they lack the feathered legs, lack vulture hocks, lack the cavernous nostril, lack the tassel cresting and of course have a comb. Below is the Breda Cockbird that I was breeding before I went to a single breed flock.

Last edited:
Quote:
They are very similar in color to the Blue Breda, but they could never be confused because they lack the feathered legs, lack vulture hocks, lack the cavernous nostril, lack the tassel cresting and of course have a comb. Below is the Breda Cockbird that I was breeding before I went to a single breed flock.

Well, obviously. I didn't look carefully at her or I would have known that. Beautiful in any case. The Breda cock looks lots more like my Bertram. Even the body shape is a little different.

Hey i am interested in getting this breed of chicken. I would prefer some hatching eggs. BBS(blue black splash) is the color i want. I love them so much since i first seen them yesterday. I would love to have them. I would use them to have pure breeds and to make feather legged polish.

That is actually an Andalusian Hen. Here is the Andalusian Rooster.

As gorgeous as the Andalusians are I have become enraptured with the Blue Bredas. We were mis-sent a Blue Breda cockerel that we fell in love with but re-homed him with a friend because we are not zoned for roos. Then I quickly found another breeder who sent us a Blue Breda pullet and we absolutely adored her also. This is an amazing breed and after going through 13 chicken breeds in 5 years I have found a lovely-temperament medium LF that is a great flockmate in my mixed flock of Silkies and Ameraucana. This is an amazing breed all-round for my smaller backyard flock!!! Our hen is an amazing bright white egg layer also which surprised me for a 4-lb girl. I will take the good-tempered Breda for white eggs over any of the assertive Mediterranean class breeds. It's been difficult for me to find a good white layer breed that would get along with docile breeds - our Breda has been a prolific layer.

The 4-month-old cockerel we re-homed - outgoing, curious, unafraid, friendly. His new owners say he welcomes himself into their house and sometimes takes over the dog bed for his nightly roosts. They rescue roosters and battery hens and say they've never had such a friendly and lovely rooster before!

The 4-month-old pullet we got after re-homing the cockerel - she is also outgoing, curious, unafraid, and pesty-friendly. The fluffy feet feathers lose length once the Bredas are outdoors and foraging but the fluff wears down to a manageable length for them.

Thank you @GaryDean26 for all your help when I was first looking into this lovely breed. Your input along with a couple other owners gave me the boost I needed to try this feather-footed beauty that I otherwise might've missed. There are many colors to choose from with this breed but we get the most complements from visitors on the Blue Breda.

Quote:
Is she one of Verna's? I would handle her as much as you have time for as a chick. My 3 are really tame. My granddaughter (very good with chicks, 6 at the time) was here when they were 2-3 weeks old and handled them a lot. They occasionally fly up to my shoulder in the pen when I go in with food (to see what is in the cup, I suppose). They are sweet birds.

Quote:
Is she one of Verna's? I would handle her as much as you have time for as a chick. My 3 are really tame. My granddaughter (very good with chicks, 6 at the time) was here when they were 2-3 weeks old and handled them a lot. They occasionally fly up to my shoulder in the pen when I go in with food (to see what is in the cup, I suppose). They are sweet birds.
Yes she is. I have been handling her often and she is so sweet. Thank you!

Quote:

Bredas definitely are sweet birds! We got a juvenile cockerel and a juvenile pullet from two different breed sources and both came to us outgoing, friendly, curious, and unafraid at about 4-months-old and I know the breeders did not handle them that much before we received them. The birds seem to naturally be sweet unafraid birds. We re-homed the cockerel with a friend because we aren't zoned for roos and they treat him like a family pet with his own dog bed and all. Our pullet was such a naturally outgoing friendly pullet she was already following us around the house the day she arrived, tapping on our shoes and toes, jumping up on the bench next to us or next to our visitors to their amusement, or flying to our shoulder. Never had such a friendly pullet right at the start that wasn't used to us yet. She's over a year old now and still just as outgoing funny and friendly as ever. What's nice is that she is a non-combative flockmate with our gentle Silkies and Ameraucana. As a non-aggressive LF she is a dream to us and lays her eggs with a lot less fuss and noisy egg songs than some other breeds we've had in the past. It's so funny that a breed with such a piercing Eagle look can be so incredibly gentle and pesty-friendly! We think her fluffy ear feathers are adorable when she looks straight on or viewing her from the top of her beautiful head.

I've read and talked with breeders who have had issues with raising Breda chicks but once they get past the chick and juvenile stages they're a hardy bird. When we received our shipped juveniles they had little sneezes but when it got frequent and louder we decided to take them to the vet for Baytril -- I guess those cavernous nostrils of theirs make them prone to respiratory issues but nothing serious if you know how to recognize it and whether it needs treatment. Most breeders just let the sniffles run its course but I paid a lot of money for our Bredas with shipping costs and didn't want to take the chance of losing them when their sneezing got harder. Other breeders said they had issues with Bumblefoot on their Bredas attributed to the wet climate and said they thought Bredas did better in non-soggy climates. In our dry sunny SoCalif area soggy climate is not an issue. Our pullet has one funny feather that sticks up at the top of her triangle crest of little feathers and my DH asked her, "Is that your personality showing?" from the Alfalfa character on Spanky and Our Gang from the 1930's films.

Back
Top Bottom