Breda Fowl thread

Interesting. I did not know there was a breed that was named after where I live (Breda). After some research they originated indeed at Breda (there is also a Breda in France, and a Breda in Spain, and 'Guelderlander' sounds like 'Gelderland' a part in the Netherlands where Breda is not located. So I had my doubts if they reálly originated from Breda, the Netherlands). Apparently they were popular amongst rich people in Breda back in the days as a city-breed to look at and give as a gift, and these lucky chickens were so 'royal' that it was common that the owner would order their own portret being painted of them heehee. A tad of spoiled chicken they were heehee. Not-rich people often had Chaamse kriel- chickens and some smart person sold it's meat as 'Breda chicken' since real Breda chickens were a sign of luxery, and fake caviar, fake crabmeat, fake champaign, etc; we allways want the lifestyle of the rich and famous. A pretty savvy marketingtrick. And I like the story because it's pretty cool how we treated chickens back then, they had value and we treated them like that, that's a bit gone nowadays. 3 years ago the city Breda has subsidized a project to breed this race so it will not go extinct. That project is still running. They are looking for donations I saw; so I donated a bit :) Thanks to BYC. Which tought me about the exictence of the race, and thus this project that is going on 10 minutes on the bike from here, haha! Internet has it's benefits! But I feel a bit ashamed that I need a mainly U.S.A. forum to tell me what is going on in my own city haha! It's time to put the tablets/computers etc. away now and then and start to look more around me I guess..
Have you checked out this link:
www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/15E02A05.pdf
This has some interesting info regarding the Breda, also there is the BKU club in Holland which you may know of.
It is always interesting to get more information on this breed as it seems to have almost faded into obscurity :)

Hey, do any of you are actually in contact with Dutch people that have something to do with the Breda fowl, recently?

My Breda (as in located in Breda) small-animals breeding association had a question about it, in the last, and my first meeting. They would like to invite someone over to talk about this breed. But none of the e-mail adresses or telephone-numbers on their websites get a response. Or the facebooks. They have been trying for a year now. I tried again through the websites you gave me here; still no replies. Maybe the project stopped/man behind it got sick or something? If anyone on here did got some contact it will take a bit of worries away :)

Thanks.

Hey, do any of you are actually in contact with Dutch people that have something to do with the Breda fowl, recently?

My Breda (as in located in Breda) small-animals breeding association had a question about it, in the last, and my first meeting. They would like to invite someone over to talk about this breed. But none of the e-mail adresses or telephone-numbers on their websites get a response. Or the facebooks. They have been trying for a year now. I tried again through the websites you gave me here; still no replies. Maybe the project stopped/man behind it got sick or something? If anyone on here did got some contact it will take a bit of worries away :)

Thanks.
The only person I can think of that may have some useful info is Michela Wansleeben of Dutch Connection farm - try her

I have to share a little with people I know. I finally found out an article was published in the new June /July issue of Backyard Poultry Magazine. It's about Breda fowl and features a couple pictures from my flock and a quote from me. If you don't buy the magazine you can read the article by going to https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com
You have to sign up, which doesn't cost anything or obligate you in any way. Once you get signed up and signed in you go to the Members only area, and click on Magazines. Then you can read that current issue. The article starts on page 74. It's supposed to be on the Countryside network site as well but it isn't there yet.

I have to share a little with people I know. I finally found out an article was published in the new June /July issue of Backyard Poultry Magazine. It's about Breda fowl and features a couple pictures from my flock and a quote from me. If you don't buy the magazine you can read the article by going to https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com
You have to sign up, which doesn't cost anything or obligate you in any way. Once you get signed up and signed in you go to the Members only area, and click on Magazines. Then you can read that current issue. The article starts on page 74. It's supposed to be on the Countryside network site as well but it isn't there yet.

That's really cool that you are futured!

I gave up. Noone knows where that dude is or if he is alive etc. It's another victim of this society where fowl-breeding is an old-man nonsense hobby I guess.
How backwards it is to say this from someone living in Breda; I'm really glad you keep this breed alive! I would rather see people over here in Breda appreciated their ancestors-created fowl; but really appreciating atleast you do.

The direct link to the issue is HERE

Hi @GaryDean26 -- you were the one who helped me most when I FIRST fell in love with Breda!!!! Do you still use your Andalusian breeding tips book?

All my Blue Breda from 3 different breeders from 3 different states have all passed away before 2 yrs old but my Cuckoo Breda is now over 3 yrs old -- from RFR of CA (who got her breeding stock originally from Dutch Connection). My Cuckoo is the only Breda so far that I've had that has lived past 2 yrs -- over 3 yrs old now. She's not as outgoing curious towards humans as my 4 Blue Breda were but she does come up to me and trusts me -- just not outgoing with anyone else. Vet weighed her at 3 kilos and she lays XL pale cream eggs about 3x week at 3 yrs old. She also goes broody every Spring, stops laying for a while and then resumes laying again. She's tall, statuesque, regal in appearance, and gets very annoyed at her toe quills. Had to take her to the vet this month for a quill infection and he had to pull out the toe quills where the infection was. She's forever breaking her gorgeous long toe quills from scratching and foraging so that by next molt all her old toe feathers got broken off!

CUCKOO BREDA PULLET PICS
DSCN7730.JPG
DSCN7873.JPG
DSCN8260.JPG

Hi @GaryDean26 -- you were the one who helped me most when I FIRST fell in love with Breda!!!! Do you still use your Andalusian breeding tips book?

All my Blue Breda from 3 different breeders from 3 different states have all passed away before 2 yrs old but my Cuckoo Breda is now over 3 yrs old -- from RFR of CA (who got her breeding stock originally from Dutch Connection). My Cuckoo is the only Breda so far that I've had that has lived past 2 yrs -- over 3 yrs old now. She's not as outgoing curious towards humans as my 4 Blue Breda were but she does come up to me and trusts me -- just not outgoing with anyone else. Vet weighed her at 3 kilos and she lays XL pale cream eggs about 3x week at 3 yrs old. She also goes broody every Spring, stops laying for a while and then resumes laying again. She's tall, statuesque, regal in appearance, and gets very annoyed at her toe quills. Had to take her to the vet this month for a quill infection and he had to pull out the toe quills where the infection was. She's forever breaking her gorgeous long toe quills from scratching and foraging so that by next molt all her old toe feathers got broken off!

CUCKOO BREDA PULLET PICS
View attachment 1784376 View attachment 1784377 View attachment 1784378

I lost my two Splash hens for Predators the spring of 2018 and my Blue hen heat last summer. The Blue Hen was the best hen that I had she would have been four this year. I was considering sourcing a cockerel this year to breed her to but the predators ruined my plans for that. I had two four-year-old Black Copper Marans Hens that I was able to breed this year and two four-year-old Cream Legbar Hens that I was able to breed this year. The Breda just weren't as lucky.

The reference that I follow is The Blue Andalusian by Silver Dun. It used to be available as a free Ebook. I am not finding a good link to it now. This is the best I can find. LINK

Does anyone have Breda that are older than 3 years olds. The book by judge Card on the Laws to breeding Standard bred poultry suggests that for a foundation hen for a line breeding project that you want to select a hen that is about 5 years old. His breeding plan would breed the foundation hen for three years to where you hatch from her at ages 5, 6, 7. My Marans and Legbars are still going strong at over 4 years old and I think I could be successful at that type of plan with them. My Blue Breda that I lost to the heat last summer may just have not had any longevity breed into her line.

On another subject has anyone crossed Cuckoo Breda hens with a Splash Breda Cockerel? I loved my Breda (and may get some more) and before the Cuckoo were ever imported I got the idea that it would make a wonderful sex-link to cross cuckoo hens to Splash cockerels to produce blue hens that could be color sexed as day-old chicks. The first cross would probably produce poor color, but working with the flock I figured you could get to where you got fair color/type without having to wait 10 weeks to know who the boys and girls were.

Last edited:
Wtg Verna - nice article :)

Back
Top Bottom