Breed-Gender-Age

Ok so here's Smokey. What's everyone opinion - how'd I do this time? The gal told me this one is from an Ameraucana (hen) & barred Plymouth Rock (roo) & she bought her original Ameraucanas from an Ameraucana breeder out east not from a feed store.

Ok so here's Smokey. What's everyone opinion - how'd I do this time? The gal told me this one is from an Ameraucana (hen) & barred Plymouth Rock (roo) & she bought her original Ameraucanas from an Ameraucana breeder out east not from a feed store.

I'm 90% sure she's a pullet. But how old is she? (I'm curious because of the red comb)

She told me she was hatched in January but she seems small for 9 mo. & I think she's still getting her big girl feathers in - still kinda fuzzy underneath. Maybe she's getting ready to lay.

Last edited:
She told me she was hatched in January but she seems small for 9 mo. & I think she's still getting her big girl feathers in - still kinda fuzzy underneath. Maybe she's getting ready to lay.

If she's 6 months or older I say 110% pullet. :)

Her coloring definitely says pullet to me. I was just concerned by the red comb. The saddle feathers were also kinda hard to read, I'm guessing that the bath kinda messed them up a little bit and that they'll look more normal after a few days.

BTW, when you cross Easter Eggers with other breeds the pea comb is closely correlated with the blue egg gene. She has a pea comb, so she's most likely going to lay green eggs for you. :)

she bought her original Ameraucanas from an Ameraucana breeder out east not from a feed store.

I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that the "breeder" she bought them from was just someone who bought hatchery "Ameraucanas," and believed them to be true Ameraucanas, and then hatched the eggs and sold the chicks as purebred Ameraucanas.

If she's 6 months or older I say 110% pullet. :)

Her coloring definitely says pullet to me. I was just concerned by the red comb. The saddle feathers were also kinda hard to read, I'm guessing that the bath kinda messed them up a little bit and that they'll look more normal after a few days.

BTW, when you cross Easter Eggers with other breeds the pea comb is closely correlated with the blue egg gene. She has a pea comb, so she's most likely going to lay green eggs for you. :)

She had to have another bath this morning cause the other new pullet was on the roost & Smokey walked under her right when she pooped. :barnie I'll wait a few days then post more pictures of her.

I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that the "breeder" she bought them from was just someone who bought hatchery "Ameraucanas," and believed them to be true Ameraucanas, and then hatched the eggs and sold the chicks as purebred Ameraucanas.

I guess I don't really care if she's Ameraucana or EE just so it's a pullet. I would just have liked to get blue eggs. We can't have roosters here & I really hate having to get rid of them after I get attached to them. Appreciate all the help!

I guess I don't really care if she's Ameraucana or EE just so it's a pullet. I would just have liked to get blue eggs. We can't have roosters here & I really hate having to get rid of them after I get attached to them. Appreciate all the help!

Well, regardless of whether her mother was Ameraucana or Easter Egger, the fact that the father was a Barred Rock would make your bird an Easter Egger anyway. Having one non-Ameraucana parent (supposing, for sake of argument, the hen was, indeed a true Ameraucana) renders it a non-issue as to this bird being an Ameraucana.

Smokey is an Easter Egger pullet, and I agree with Cowgirl71; she will likely lay green eggs.

After looking at the pics again I'm fairly certain that she's a she, regardless of how old she actually is. A rooster would be more colorful and also have a bigger comb.

Try checking the pointy pin bones, located on either side and just below the vent. If you can fit 2-3 fingers between them she's definitely a pullet that's very close to laying!

Back
Top Bottom