breeding 55 Flowery Leghorns

silver pullets left, gold pullets right. The down on silver is different than gold.

silver, gold, silver, gold
top 2 gold cockerels, bottom silver
silver cockerel front, gold back 2

I just placed an order for 3 pullets from GF- I'm sure they'll send a roo peanut packing... are they aggressive? We had to cull both our GF BCM and Bielefelder roos for going after our 5 year old... unprovoked. Does anyone have pictures of the eggs and testimony to how well they lay? Thanks! I'll keep you posted!

Mine were surprisingly friendly as chicks. I never handled them. They had a period of insecurity when I moved them out of the grow-pen. Now they are always underfoot.

see 1 post up

Sorry, it looks that we posted at the exact same time.

A question for everyone with some genetics knowledge. I think I'm still going to pursue developing my own version of the 55 with breeds known to be calm, friendly, docile and quiet.

I'm interested in understanding the difference between speckled, spangled, and mottled and which can occur simultaneously. I know that barring (B) and mottling (mo) exist simultaneously in the 55. Where do speckles and spangles fit in? I'm trying to develop my own version of the 55 with more calm, friendly docile breeds. More over a want lots of white ground and "polka dots" of color, but not in a mille fleur way but more like some Swedish Flower. The gist is, I wonder if speckles and spangles can be added in addition to the mottling and barring.

I want to downsize to just a couple and pretty much put my Bielefelder, Legbars, SwedIsh Flowers, mottled English Orpingtons and a production hen into the genetic blender. I'm actually not found of how chatty and bullish the Legbars are, but I'd like a colored egg. I have the barring and chipmunk with the Bieles and Legbars, the mottling with the Orpingtons and speckling with the Swedish. The production sex link will give me sex link silver. I'm not worried about feather growth sex linkage. The sex links I was planning to use are either gold sex links or Novogens. Aside from temperament I also need a heat hardy bird and while I love the Bieles the big chickens don't fair well when we get temps over 110. That's where the Novogen come in. They are marketed as being highly adaptable, heat included.

Thanks for the input. I also cross posted on the pattern genetics thread but there were only to messages there.

Mine were surprisingly friendly as chicks.  I never handled them.  They had a period of insecurity when I moved them out of the grow-pen.  Now they are always underfoot.

Unfortunately, I have them brooding with some white leghorns and the chicks have picked up their skiddishness.

Greenfire boasts these girls lay the biggest eggs on their farm. I have some Bielefelders that lay huge eggs... Josette (@GF) says they're bigger than the biels... can that be true?
1f603.png

Greenfire boasts these girls lay the biggest eggs on their farm. I have some Bielefelders that lay huge eggs... Josette (@GF) says they're bigger than the biels... can that be true?
1f603.png
I'll let you know in 12 to 16 weeks... :lol: actually those will be pullet eggs then so give me 6 to 7 months for the eggs to begin to be layed and to grow in size

Last edited:
Hi, could I get some input from the group to see what the consensus is regarding the ground color of my chicks?

I was only able to get a couple of snaps with them all in one frame. Please ignore the two in the middle, they are Bielefelder and Legbar cockerels.

Thanks!

Hi, could I get some input from the group to see what the consensus is regarding the ground color of my chicks? I was only able to get a couple of snaps with them all in one frame. Please ignore the two in the middle, they are Bielefelder and Legbar cockerels. Thanks!
all gold

Back
Top Bottom