Breeding area and clipping wing feathers

Huntmaster, I was afraid the electric wouldn't work.

Your setup is very nice, great size. I have a few questions. Are you using welded wire for fencing? Did you attach the netting to the top of the fence? Lastly are you using straw on the ground or are you keeping the grass growing?

I have igloo dog houses I can use as nesting boxes, or I can build boxes. The nesting area will be in the barn area so I can shut them in at night.

One more question what variety are your lovely gray/ blue/ slate birds?

In small pens thing is with trying to let them all hatch their own eggs is they tend to make one large nest, and all try to sit it and it usually don't have great hatch rates, but it can work.
I didn't realize that. I've only had free range before. These girls are big, at least compared to the chocolate hens.

Are you using welded wire for fencing? Did you attach the netting to the top of the fence? Lastly are you using straw on the ground or are you keeping the grass growing?
Yes, 2x4 welded wire with a predator apron 2' up fencing and 2' on ground out from fence. The netting is about a foot from top of fence, I added steel cable around fence at that height and attached it all there with hog rings to even out pressure on fence. That small of pens get pecked/scratched bare fast so yes, I use straw if it gets muddy during breeding season to keep help keep nest clean. A pic of a larger pen 100'x 50' you can see how I attached netting.
IMG_0063.JPG

I have igloo dog houses I can use as nesting boxes, or I can build boxes. The nesting area will be in the barn area so I can shut them in at night.
Your igloo houses or even just leaning a pallet or piece of plywood or something against wall that the hen can get behind, but Tom cannot work for nesting spots.

Yes, 2x4 welded wire with a predator apron 2' up fencing and 2' on ground out from fence. The netting is about a foot from top of fence, I added steel cable around fence at that height and attached it all there with hog rings to even out pressure on fence. That small of pens get pecked/scratched bare fast so yes, I use straw if it gets muddy during breeding season to keep help keep nest clean. A pic of a larger pen 100'x 50' you can see how I attached netting.View attachment 3423815
Thanks for the info. This pic shows the detail perfectly. I just moved to a new place and I'm so tired of fencing (cattle, horses). However, if I can do something that looks half as nice as yours and is permanent it'll. Be worth it. Thank you.

Huntmaster, thank you for sharing your thoughts and pics! You are very generous.

I've studied the pics. I now have a better idea on how to put up the top netting. I thought I'd need a pretty good frame but I see how you've used central supports. It was especially good to see some of the supports in the smaller pens are not huge posts set in the ground but smaller "post" on the concrete deck blocks. Brilliant. These center supports along with welded wire and t-posts I can do. Now my only concern is one of the chocolate hens trying to fly in and getting stuck in the "roof" netting. :lau

Back
Top Bottom