Breeding back-turkeys

Go back and read this post from page one. I don't need to repeat what has already been said. Just saying.

Quote:
You'll need to raise one to replace your older tom he'll get less fertile with age and sometimes too big

That's the best answer yet but, I'd sell or eat the offspring. I would not breed to sibblings. Plus, with a heritage breed, you'll get a lot of years out of your breeders before you even need to start worrying. But hey, that's just me and I know it's not easy to do with a barn yard flock even though I find turkeys easier to manage than chickens in that respect.

If you breed father to daughter you might need to keep even more Toms do to inbreeding depression. That is if the hens are even fertile.

Do I need to find a new tom each year if I keep his offspring?

What are you planning to do with the offspring? If you are going to sell them or eat them it makes no difference. With heritage turkeys fertility starts to drop off after 3 years and goes down hill each year after. We replace our breeders every 3 years.

Steve​

There is not alot of information that we are going on. How many daughter are you going to keep and how large of flock are we talking about? My turkeys are very fertile to a old age. One can cover ten hens easy with great fertility to about 5 years old. That is the advantage of the way I breed. There is no inbreeding depression. I only see two options. Inbreed father to daughter and keeping toms from that cross. As I said earlier I don't do it. Some do and it works. I am not judging anyone. I just don't like it for myself. Or go shop for a Tom but make sure you not bringing in a disease. I gave the information so a informed discision could be made. I don't know your goals.

I've been raising broad-breasted bronze turkeys for a few years, but never keep any. I became interested in the heritages and kept a few because I like them. Last year, I kept one blue slate tom, a black hen, a red hen, three blue slate hens, and one lavendar. This has been my first breeding season and now have eight poults. There are two females that I want to keep for their character and color (they are cross breeds, though). I originally intended on raising and selling the blue slate as a tastier meat, but have been unable to find a local market. So I just raise what I enjoy watching. I'm sure that cross breeding heritage birds is frowned upon and I should probably have them processed, but my black hen and red hen are both wonderful birds & their chicks are really pretty. . . .

Finding turkeys is limited and I haven't seen a mature turkey yet that I would bring home from a poultry swap or auction. . .

I'll keep looking, but until then, I think I'll keep what I want.
Thanks again!
~Becky

Quote:
That's what it's all about-enjoying it. When it becomes unenjoyable I'm done and I would not worry about being frowned upon. After all, haven't all the the heritage breeds been derived by cross breeding?

I'm sure that cross breeding heritage birds is frowned upon and I should probably have them processed, but my black hen and red hen are both wonderful birds & their chicks are really pretty. . . .

I don't think most people have a problem with crossing standard heritage turkeys together like the colors you mentioned.​

I sold some turkeys for a friend this year, and i found it a LOT HARDER to sell the mixed heritage turkeys than any of the recognized breeds. Midget White and the Bourbon Reds sold the easiest.

Back
Top Bottom