Breeding Cornish X Rocks

Pics
The pullet in the picture is about 16 or 20 weeks old. And does not have any fast feathering and fast growing genes. So that puts my breeding program behind. But what it does give me. Is the Cornish gene. And maybe dominent white color. Also I need to check. If she is 1/2 White Rock or 1/4 Asil.
I did come accross some very Large White Rock Roosters. That I did not purchase. I wished I did. But when I did not see any of the pullets. I did not get them. They where a Show quality stock. That grows very fast. But the hens are not good layers.
So this year I will try to start another cross. I picked up some White Rock pullets from one of the Pennsylvania hatcheries. I forget the name. Well they will be bred to my Jubilee Cornish. To see how they grow and lay.
And to get a hold of the ABCD pure pedigree breeding lines of the Industry. That is a big and very hard thing. As the broiler Industry is as I have said about 50 Billion dollar a year business.

i apologize for the incorrect information. i was told what i previously said and thought so myself, i wouldve never thought you would be able to create a breed of chicken that is ready in 7 weeks by crossing different breeds. with that being said, i think im going to try and set up my own meat bird pen! and also try to breed some fast growing meaty birds aswell. again i apologize for the incorrect information everyone.

About 10 years ago I was installing an epoxy floor and fiberglass/epoxy wall system in a laboratory. To my surprise in the part of the lab that was up and running that I had access to I saw the scientists working on genetically modifying chicken eggs. The chickens looked to be pure leghorns not cornish rocks. I am not implying that that Cornish Rock is a product of GMO. What I am saying is it's not much of a leap to think that they are working with the best egg layer breed so why not the best meat breed? To be fair I do not know what the were trying to achieve but I will tell you what I saw there... What looked like pure leghorns were kept in clean room type labs. Super,super clean. Also some of these rooms were incubators. Large glass windows allowed you to look into labs from hallways. The eggs (large white) were collected. Put into large egg trays. The very top of the eggs the point of the egg were surgically removed where the air cell would be. Then they would inject then with something through the skin where the air cell would be.then left to hatch with top egg removed. I saw bunches of chicks hatched there. They were the saddest looking chicks I have ever seen. While I was there I never saw them keep any of the chicks hatched. Although I never saw what they did with the chick I was told that if they don't have the traits they were looking for after hatch they are dropped in a tank of acid at a day old.. The name of the lab was Tranxendren(spelling May not be correct) they were located on route 9 Framingham Ma.

The pullet in the picture is about 16 or 20 weeks old. And does not have any fast feathering and fast growing genes. So that puts my breeding program behind. But what it does give me. Is the Cornish gene. And maybe dominent white color. Also I need to check. If she is 1/2 White Rock or 1/4 Asil.
I did come accross some very Large White Rock Roosters. That I did not purchase. I wished I did. But when I did not see any of the pullets. I did not get them. They where a Show quality stock. That grows very fast. But the hens are not good layers.
So this year I will try to start another cross. I picked up some White Rock pullets from one of the Pennsylvania hatcheries. I forget the name. Well they will be bred to my Jubilee Cornish. To see how they grow and lay.
And to get a hold of the ABCD pure pedigree breeding lines of the Industry. That is a big and very hard thing. As the broiler Industry is as I have said about 50 Billion dollar a year business.
Ahh yes so she does have some filling out left to do or I presume she does.

You are on the right track.

Yes to get a hold of the AB & CD parent breeding lines is tricky. To get a hold of the grandparent lines is even trickier, but of course can be done with enough money

i apologize for the incorrect information. i was told what i previously said and thought so myself, i wouldve never thought you would be able to create a breed of chicken that is ready in 7 weeks by crossing different breeds. with that being said, i think im going to try and set up my own meat bird pen! and also try to breed some fast growing meaty birds aswell. again i apologize for the incorrect information everyone.

similar to what i thought on how the cornish cross is produced. guess well never really know unless you talk to one of the scientist.
Sorry we jumped on you----

Selection is an increadably effective tool.Records and observatin and numbers to select from. Run trial and test the crosses. Repeat. Ultimately the cornish cross is a wonderful creation from well matched genetics, heavy selection for growth and hybrid vigor. Because that has been the primary emphasis , other issue that have cropped up with this bird comes along with the package. Many refer to them as frankenbirds-- I personally admire the ingenuity to create an incredably useful meat source that feeds a lot of Americans. Viva la chicken.

About 10 years ago I was installing an epoxy floor and fiberglass/epoxy wall system in a laboratory. To my surprise in the part of the lab that was up and running that I had access to I saw the scientists working on genetically modifying chicken eggs. The chickens looked to be pure leghorns not cornish rocks. I am not implying that that Cornish Rock is a product of GMO. What I am saying is it's not much of a leap to think that they are working with the best egg layer breed so why not the best meat breed? To be fair I do not know what the were trying to achieve but I will tell you what I saw there... What looked like pure leghorns were kept in clean room type labs. Super,super clean. Also some of these rooms were incubators. Large glass windows allowed you to look into labs from hallways. The eggs (large white) were collected. Put into large egg trays. The very top of the eggs the point of the egg were surgically removed where the air cell would be. Then they would inject then with something through the skin where the air cell would be.then left to hatch with top egg removed. I saw bunches of chicks hatched there. They were the saddest looking chicks I have ever seen. While I was there I never saw them keep any of the chicks hatched. Although I never saw what they did with the chick I was told that if they don't have the traits they were looking for after hatch they are dropped in a tank of acid at a day old.. The name of the lab was Tranxendren(spelling May not be correct) they were located on route 9 Framingham Ma.
Unless you actually know what the experiments are there is no way to judge what you were seeing. CHicken embyros are used for a hundred different things in the medical and research world. Vaccines are made using chicken eggs-- they ask if you are allergic to eggs, have you noticed that??

In reality, most people would be horrified at many of the experiments done with animals. I'll leave it at that because I find it a distasteful subject. Years ago a friend working on her masters devised a thesis that didn't result in the death of any of her subjects, and they were later given away as pets.

Sorry we jumped on you----

Selection is an increadably effective tool.Records and observatin and numbers to select from. Run trial and test the crosses. Repeat. Ultimately the cornish cross is a wonderful creation from well matched genetics, heavy selection for growth and hybrid vigor. Because that has been the primary emphasis , other issue that have cropped up with this bird comes along with the package. Many refer to them as frankenbirds-- I personally admire the ingenuity to create an incredably useful meat source that feeds a lot of Americans. Viva la chicken.
oh no! it was just a misunderstanding! no biggie
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom