Breeding Cornish X Rocks

This has been a great thread, still I believe there are a lot of people out there somewhere that know the exact combo to home make a Cornish X meat bird. I know they are not healthy for breeding, still if the exact origin was easy to reproduce, like a double cross it would be nice to know the process. You know that people involved with their creation is around chickens a lot, it seem like one of them would eventually wonder to this website and spill the beans so to speak. I don't know, possibly they all have to sign a non disclosure, and cant legally share the information.

I know these little white meat factory's, LOL are not that healthy, and all the down side, but bottom line is they only need to survive for 8 weeks. They supposedly produce the most meat per pound of feed, and the most meat per pound of feed is the one shining star here. When I think about back yard chickens I think sustainability, and sustainability in possibly a situation where meat birds were not available from a hatchery. I don't think any thing is going to happen to our society, but throughout the history of man lots of bad things have happened, disease, war famine, natural disasters, and all that stuff we will probably never see. If there wasn't much feed available, or if you had to grow your own, it would be nice to know the Cornish X formula so to speak. Heck even in good times it would be good to know. In bad times it could aid survival. Now if genetics have to be tweaked and you need a lab, that blows it, but it is my understanding that that isn't the case. Or possibly if some genetic engineering was done, the DNA should be available in the existing birds. Still I see lots of opinions about the secret of the Cornish X but nothing absolute, does anyone have a credible definite source for the info, or is it a chicken mystery, LOL

Thanks
Not really- it is no mystery- and in reality- how it was made isn't important as it cannot be duplicated. There was no genetic modification though.

CX has been evolving for 60 plus years. When you have millions of breeder birds, and keep only the best of the best- it doesn't take long to make drastic changes, especially when one can hatch 100's of offspring from a single pair in one year.

This is nothing different than making a new 'breed' of chicken- which is something that 75% of the people on here are doing, or want to do. It just happens that with the exact cross- comes a shot of hybrid vigor.

For those of us that really understand genetics- these CX birds really aren't that formidable.

Not really- it is no mystery- and in reality- how it was made isn't important as it cannot be duplicated. There was no genetic modification though.

CX has been evolving for 60 plus years. When you have millions of breeder birds, and keep only the best of the best- it doesn't take long to make drastic changes, especially when one can hatch 100's of offspring from a single pair in one year.

This is nothing different than making a new 'breed' of chicken- which is something that 75% of the people on here are doing, or want to do. It just happens that with the exact cross- comes a shot of hybrid vigor.

For those of us that really understand genetics- these CX birds really aren't that formidable.

OK I am one of those show me type of guys, so dont take this as being a jerk, here is my take on the CX breed. Well we simply have to agree to disagree, too a degree, LOL. I know genetics, and with all due respect, there isn't such thing as cant be duplicated. DNA allows us to duplicate to the point of even cloning. I do agree that it can be difficult even a secretive process, that is for sure. I also understand a long evolution of a breed, still they are not coming from just 1 or 2 sources, they are available at a lot of different sources globally I will add, so the info has to be shared on some level it would seem. Still what I was saying is if there is someone who knows, show not just me but us all. It would be a big plus for back yard, or otherwise small breeders to be able to produce these meaty little birds. Yes I know trade secrets are a lot of many businesses, some are kept while others slip out. I was hoping this one had slipped out a bit. I think I am going to write the US dept of agriculture and see if they have any information to shine some light on this. In some areas of AG they are very help full. I am not expecting much, I would like to solve this mystery. It will allow the small guy to better feed his family, without depending on a hatchery, that would be some good stuff. Agreed I might be dreaming, but I am a dreamer, inventor, and innovator. sometimes I hit a wall, but you cant succeed if you don't try. Any way thanks for any input.

OK I am one of those show me type of guys, so dont take this as being a jerk, here is my take on the CX breed. Well we simply have to agree to disagree, too a degree, LOL. I know genetics, and with all due respect, there isn't such thing as cant be duplicated. DNA allows us to duplicate to the point of even cloning. I do agree that it can be difficult even a secretive process, that is for sure. I also understand a long evolution of a breed, still they are not coming from just 1 or 2 sources, they are available at a lot of different sources globally I will add, so the info has to be shared on some level it would seem. Still what I was saying is if there is someone who knows, show not just me but us all. It would be a big plus for back yard, or otherwise small breeders to be able to produce these meaty little birds. Yes I know trade secrets are a lot of many businesses, some are kept while others slip out. I was hoping this one had slipped out a bit. I think I am going to write the US dept of agriculture and see if they have any information to shine some light on this. In some areas of AG they are very help full. I am not expecting much, I would like to solve this mystery. It will allow the small guy to better feed his family, without depending on a hatchery, that would be some good stuff. Agreed I might be dreaming, but I am a dreamer, inventor, and innovator. sometimes I hit a wall, but you cant succeed if you don't try. Any way thanks for any input.
Read my BYC- there is quite a few links and info on there on the CX birds.

While I agree they can be duplicated, because anything can-- I think the original trait being multiplied was a 'defect' for a lack of a better word-- and I think it will be nearly impossible to re-create the steps took in the last 60 years to get where we are.

I'm doing a great job at making a bird that is exactly as everyone wants. I know there is some things to improve on-- but I'm as close, if not closer than anyone else-- and doing it in a fashionable, predictable, and sustainable breeding program.

It is good that someone is making progress, I am still going to chase the rainbow a bit on the CX, It's probably all but undoable, still I know someone knows the combo to do it. Anyway thanks for all the input, I do like constructive criticism, even if it isn't something I don't want to hear. It keeps my mind open, and that is a big part of reality.

Hello, I did a lot of reading on the subject here and on other chicken sites and I am raising a Dark Cornish rooster to breed with hen Plymouth Barred Rocks, which someone called the poor mans Cornish X. The birds are about 10 weeks old not due to start laying for awhile but I look forward to seeing how this all works out.
Tod AKA (beanonastring)

Hello, I did a lot of reading on the subject here and on other chicken sites and I am raising a Dark Cornish rooster to breed with hen Plymouth Barred Rocks, which someone called the poor mans Cornish X. The birds are about 10 weeks old not due to start laying for awhile but I look forward to seeing how this all works out.
Tod AKA (beanonastring)
You are about half way to the POL on good cornish.

I have 10 cornish chicks for 4-h and all of them are supposed to be roosters..but the bottom cornish looks like a hen to me because besides her all the others have bigger combs and are getting red but the bottom cornish isn't so what do you guys think??

Looks like you are right. They are not perfect with sexing and most hatcheries only claim about 85% accuracy on sexing.
Ok,Im kind of excited if its a hen now how many eggs do they lay in there life time?and can you breed them?and if the rooster is sterile can you put a different breed of rooster in with her and he mates her will it work?...thanks

Back
Top Bottom