Breeding Cornish X Rocks

Pics
You won't have a hybrid. You will have a cross breed. The offsping of your dark cornish and barred rock will not breed true. They will exhibit varying characteristics of their parents.

Hello All. I'm sorry I had to remove my original post about my breeding stock but what I had posted was meant only to be helpful. Not so I could be attacked by this person below. I've had good luck breeding my own large broiler bird at home and thought this was something I could share but evidently not.

Last edited:
Awesome, love this discussion.

Also for the person above, I'll put it in a sentence.
I'm please to MEET you, I'm glad you brought some of your chicken MEAT for dinner, yum yum

While that cross should work, I believe that my Cornish backyard birds would be more 'fool prooft' in terms of restricted diet. I have found that in order to max egg production, fertility, and hatching rates-- nutrition needs to be at the highest point possible. That cannot happen with restricted diets.

Let's hear some rock solid facts.
How many birds do you hatch every year?
Hatch rate?
Growth rates?
Pounds of carcass?
How many breeder birds do you have?
What steps did you hurdle to get from start to present?
What kind of genetic progress have you made, or are the birds today the same as they were way back when?

Your last statements take all credibility out from my perspective, too many what I call 'foo-foo' words, and not enough factual words.

Here is my meat bird project. They breed true (been doing this for 4 generations now). The first picture shows the carcass next to two rabbits, and a knife with a total length of 9 inches. This bird was hatched in late April/ early May- butchered 3 weeks ago. Live weight of just over 9 pounds, hanging dressed out carcass weight of just under 5. That pen was not pushed hard- as most are either slated to be breeder birds, or to sell as breeder candidates. This is the first cockerel I have butchered this year- and by the sounds of things- will be the last for a while. I got word this weekend, that all my 'extra' bigger cockerels are sold for $20. each to be breeder birds and backups.

For reference, those are corncrib panels with 2"x6" holes.

Last edited:
hthrfox81, you should put your post back up. I was interested in it, don't worry about other people/keyboard warriors

Im happy to get some more foo foo, the facts meh

Hello All. I'm sorry I had to remove my original post about my breeding stock but what I had posted was meant only to be helpful. Not so I could be attacked by this person below. I've had good luck breeding my own large broiler bird at home and thought this was something I could share but evidently not.

How helpful to others can you be, if you refuse to answer questions?

In order for some other person to replicate the cross, and do it, or a version for themselves- it's clearly obvious that you truly don't want to share facts and stats about your birds.

Chow.

Well less helpful now as the post has been removed, thanks dude
Exactly my point. What kind of person wants to share information, but then doesn't answer questions- instead gets made and deletes the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom