Breeding Cornish X Rocks

Pics
What my uncle is doing to breed cornish x rock is he separated a cockerel and 2 pullets and they have a seperate pen he keeps them on diet so the roo wont get too heavy and would be able to mate with pullets. So far they're about 4 months and doing good.

Your uncle can probably get chicks and have fun doing so. But these chicks will not be like their parents. The Cornish X do not breed true.

They would be white. Maybe even nice chickens. But they won't grow as fast or have the same efficient feed conversion as their parents. Sounds like an interesting project though. And you might even luck out and prove me wrong. That's OK too. Keep us posted.

I thought it might be an interesting journey breeding my own self sustaining Meat birds. I am aware that I will not be able to recreate the CornishXrock and I'm totally fine with that. I started with DP hens RI Reds, Buff Orbingtons, White rocks,Barred rocks, Astrolorps and a few more breeds of hens. And my plan was to breed them to a Dark Cornish rooster. All chicks raised so far have been hen brooded and raised with there hen till she pushes them away. With the goal of having a happy medium between good egg production,broodiness and a little better carcus than DP birds. I know I'm asking a lot but, at the end of the day at worst it will all taste like chicken! So far the fastest growth has been from DarkCornish rooster over RI Red hen. I also picked up a couple rock crosses for ***** and laughter and raised them with DP chicks. I have raised one rock cross pullet she is now 4 months old. As soon as she starts laying I'm going put her under DarkCornish rooster. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Sounds like a good Idea might work. We did a similar cross where we crossed a buff orpington rooster with a cornish cross hen. Got about 6 chicks 5 hens 1 roo now theyre are 10 months larger and heavier than my other chickens. The rooster weighs about 10 lb. Not too bad. Good luck keep us posted.

Sounds like a good Idea might work. We did a similar cross where we crossed a buff orpington rooster with a cornish cross hen. Got about 6 chicks 5 hens 1 roo now theyre are 10 months larger and heavier than my other chickens. The rooster weighs about 10 lb. Not too bad. Good luck keep us posted.

Have you tried any of the eggs from the offspring? Can they fertilize? If so, what did you get? Keep the breed going!
thumbsup.gif

What did the off spring look like?

Back
Top Bottom