breeding frizzle

Looking around for double-dose pics, I came across this thread.

First, the Punnett Square.

Then some explanations.

Double-dose frizzle (FF) CAN be raised, and successfully bred. The problem is that you have to take EXTRA special care of them, as their feathers are fragile. They can go bald EASILY. That means no extreme hot or cold. And breeding a double-dose frizzle to a smooth feathered chicken will give you 100% frizzle chicks (NOT curly chicks, and not the chicks with bad feathering).

Next, a double-recessive frizzle is absolutely NO different than a simple, normal, smooth-feathered chicken. Two smooth-feathered chickens will never EVER produce a frizzle chicken, no matter if there are frizzles in their lineage or not. If the parents are both smooth, the babies will always be smooth. They are not "carriers" of the gene. Since frizzle itself is a DOMINANT gene, then two "recessive" traits mean they can never pass the gene on to their offspring. They either have it and it shows up, or they don't have it at all. So the ads for "smooth-feathered frizzle carriers" are trying to sell you something that doesn't really exist.

Frizzle can exist with any breed. BE MINDFUL OF WHAT BREED FRIZZLE YOU HAVE. My roo is a frizzle BANTAM COCHIN. I can breed him with a bantam mille fleur, and I will have a mixed-breed bantam frizzle. I can breed him with a bantam silkie and I will have a mixed breed bantam frizzle. But if I breed him to a smooth-feathered bantam cochin, I will have more Frizzle Bantam Cochins. I have seen Frizzle Polish out there. If I take a frizzle polish, and breed it to a bantam cochin, I get... Mixed Breed Bantam Frizzle.

To understand this better, just remember that Frizzle is an extra gene that is out there. It goes on top of whatever you produce. To find out what you get when you breed a frizzle with something else, just take the word "frizzle" out of the bird's breed. It works much in the same way "bantam" does. You can have bantam ameraucanas, or you can have normal ameraucanas. You can have frizzle ameraucanas, or you can have smooth ameraucanas. A cochin and a polish bred together simply give you a mixed breed. A frizzle polish and normal cochin will give you.... a mixed breed with frizzle.

But there again, take the smooth x frizzle into account. Regardless of what you get in terms of breed, only about 50% of the chicks will inherit the frizzle gene. So using the polish cochin combination above, you may end up with 50% frizzle mixed breed, and 50% smooth mixed breed. Frizzle is essentially always separate from breed itself.

Now if I can only find a large-fowl frizzle....

If they have smooth feathers they are not a frizzle. A frizzle has to have the curled feathers. If it is smooth its just whatever breed it is. Like there are frizzled Polish, if the have smooth feathers they are just Polish chickens. What breed of Frizzle do you have?

Well I beg o differ with your interpertation of a smooth frizzle
a smooth out of a frizzle to smooth mating is a valuble asset to frizzle breeding.
First DO NOT BREED FRIZZLE TO FRIZZLE.
As it only causes curlies and or extreme frizzles they are called.
A "Curly" is a frizzle which has been bred from to many yrs breeding frizzle to frizzle.
Thus you breed the feather follicles off the chick, it will not have many feathers.
thus it is a cull as it will never be able to stand the heat or the cold weather.
If you will breed the frizzle to a smooth( preferably out of frizzle breeding)
you then always use the smooths out of frizzle to smooth matings to keep each year and,
breed the best (smooths) raised back to the frizzle (male or female) makes no difference which sex is frizzle or smooth.
The smooths that come from a frizzle to a smooth matings are to be saved till you can sex them and see what they are.
Originally you will need a regular feathered (smooth) chicken of the breed of the frizzle chicken to mate.
This is the F-1 mating started in this line of frizzles.
Now F-2 line is 2nd yr on this line.
you will use F-1 Frizzle what ever sex it is.
Then take the F-2 smooth chicks of opposite sex and mate to F-1 frizzle what ever sex it is.
Now let me make an example:
say F-1 is a frizzle male
Take F-2 smooth females (best you got out of first mating-) in this case the smooth females.
F-1 frizzle male to best F-2 smooth females will give great chicks.
That mating always give the best frizzle chicks and best smooth chicks.
SO EVERY YEAR YOU ONLY BREED: frizzle to smooths(out of frizzle to smooth matings)
YOU NEVER BREED REGULAR FEATHERED BIRDS IN unless improvement is need:
IE: in type, broadness of back etc on the chicks has gone down hill in yrs breeding the frizzle to smooths.
but I never had to as I bred several decades and always used frizzle male to smooth females(OUT OF FRIZZLE TO SMOOTH MATINGS)
You can read more about is and other chicken articles on NATIONAL POUTRY NEWS on facebook

Hi all...I have a black frizzle hen and i want to breed her to a smooth bantam cochin. My question is I don't know what color I'll get. I want the chicks to be mottled, speckled, splash and/or blue/lavender with white in them. What color smooth bantam cochin rooster should I try to find to get the chick color I'm looking for. Love these pretty birds!

I have several frizzles at home. Wondering if you can use any type of Rooster such as Orpington, Barred Rock, e
I also would like to know the answer to this question you posted. Can you use any Bantam rooster or does it has to be a certain kind?
I have a older hen and just got 3 little pullets and did learn that you can't use a Frizzle rooster with them or it causes problems SO what kind of a rooster should I get?

I currently raise Silkies and have thought about adding a frizzle hen to my silkie flock. If I breed a frizzle hen to the silkie roo, will I get sizzles?

Quote: TY so much for this picture!!! I have been wondering what a FF would look like! I also have 2 frizzles that came from Ideal. One is gorgeous and I think the roo is going to be also. I am keeping a bla3 ck or maybe it is a dark charcoal laced roo and I think the other may be a silver laced. I may keep the buff mottled, too. The colors I have other than the white frizzles are all smooth feathered.

Oh! I had 7 white frizzles be fore I sold the rest. Some of the ones I sold looked more like they were coming in like your roos! I had wondered if that is what a FF looked like.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom