Breeding Project Spring 2014

Handyman:

Have you seen this thread?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...rs-whether-they-work-or-not/400#post_12430473
This is the last page, but it has what looks like a very reliable and simple cardboard box incubator, which the designer has used (and tweaked to this point) repeatedly and says works very well. This is the design I'm going to have my DS use to build his first incubator in a couple of months. =)

Luv the buffs soo cute also buffs go broody and are one of the brooder breeds and are good mothers

Yeah, if I had a chance at a buff Orpington, I wouldn't turn it down!!!
wink.png

I may be mistaken about the hatch rate thing. =)

I agree; this is a great place to learn a lot about chickens (and more). ;-)

I have a bi-level nesting corner, which is actually large enough that I could put two nesting boxes on each level, but I don't have boxes yet, so basically I have two. I finished it a little more than a month ago; I've gotten two white eggs in the top level and they were separated by weeks, and the second time I got a white egg in there, there were also two brown eggs, so.... Yeah, go figure, I get five plus eggs in the bottom. lol
I've read up on community nest boxes and that's the direction I'm going with my new breeding coops. I'm going to build them a little higher than some because my birds like the higher ground better than just being 18 inches to 2 ft off the ground. Idk maybe it's instinct. And on the incubator thread I just looked at it and looks pretty simple. If I hadn't already gotten this lab oven I'd probably do something like that. Great stuff for sure.

I've read up on community nest boxes and that's the direction I'm going with my new breeding coops. I'm going to build them a little higher than some because my birds like the higher ground better than just being 18 inches to 2 ft off the ground. Idk maybe it's instinct. And on the incubator thread I just looked at it and looks pretty simple. If I hadn't already gotten this lab oven I'd probably do something like that. Great stuff for sure.

I have two double sized levels for nine hens, they all lay in the middle of the bottom level.
idunno.gif

I think you're right. Different breeds have different instincts. I read that some are ground layers and some prefer to nest higher up.

Yeah, it seems simple to me to. I'm borrowing one, but my DS wants to start his own flock, so I'm going to give him some of my eggs and he can build his own incubator. He's always doing artsy stuff like that. ;-)

I have two double sized levels for nine hens, they all lay in the middle of the bottom level.
idunno.gif

I think you're right. Different breeds have different instincts. I read that some are ground layers and some prefer to nest higher up.

Yeah, it seems simple to me to. I'm borrowing one, but my DS wants to start his own flock, so I'm going to give him some of my eggs and he can build his own incubator. He's always doing artsy stuff like that. ;-)

My 6 Buffs and 3 Buff RIR crosses both lay in 3 nest boxes. I guess they don't mind the crowding but it does make it easier to gather eggs if they're all in just a few places everyday. Takes the guesswork out of it for sure.

My 6 Buffs and 3 Buff RIR crosses both lay in 3 nest boxes. I guess they don't mind the crowding but it does make it easier to gather eggs if they're all in just a few places everyday. Takes the guesswork out of it for sure.

I know what you mean. Other than this morning, I've gotten two white Leghorn eggs in the top and each one was all by itself up there. The only thing I can figure out is that someone was in the bottom (my guess is a Comet, b/c the last time I found four Comet eggs in the bottom and no other white eggs) and the Leghorn just couldn't hold it any longer.

I know what you mean. Other than this morning, I've gotten two white Leghorn eggs in the top and each one was all by itself up there. The only thing I can figure out is that someone was in the bottom (my guess is a Comet, b/c the last time I found four Comet eggs in the bottom and no other white eggs) and the Leghorn just couldn't hold it any longer.
yuckyuck.gif

Yea sometimes it seems that way. They want so badly to lay where they always do then someone gets in their way and they've gotta jump the rut and do something different. I guess chickens are creatures of habit as well.

Well, I have to tell you howmuch I have enjoyed reading this thread...I have chickens (66) now going on my 4th year. We are an elderly couple who
who truly enjoy living the simple life...at 81 my husband milks our jersey cow, gardens and all the rest...the chickens are mine and I have had a
wonderful time planning, playing, experimenting and just plain having fun...the nest box situation is the same here..have 8 and they only use 3 or 4
have decided on Isa Brown for selling eggs (xlarge and beautiful) hardly fit in boxes. for meat -plymouth barred rock and astrolorpe (am trying
both breeds out and culling time will tell) both take a long time to begin laying..friendly..large broad breasted...I have 2 roos (astrolorpe) one is
pure and the other mix..prefer the mix...have a rooster pen that contains an Isa Brown, RIR,Buff Orp.,and a mix. The only chicks I will buy are the
Isa Brown (from Townline Hatchery) love the mixes in the flock..have two white Isa's and the rest are reddish brown, black,gold and black...
all gentle and wonderful to look at......Have breeding pens (hoop pens with tarp top) being made to really experiment..fun..fun..fun..also have a
GROWING PEN...contains ALL chicks (10x20) this has been a blessing, feeding them diff. from adults can be a problem for they cannot eat
the same feed...adults free range also and chicks are safe from predators...Louisiana has many....well God bless your future....G
P.S. raising from you own stock means a stronger line...only my .02 G

Well, I have to tell you howmuch I have enjoyed reading this thread...I have chickens (66) now going on my 4th year. We are an elderly couple who
who truly enjoy living the simple life...at 81 my husband milks our jersey cow, gardens and all the rest...the chickens are mine and I have had a
wonderful time planning, playing, experimenting and just plain having fun...the nest box situation is the same here..have 8 and they only use 3 or 4
have decided on Isa Brown for selling eggs (xlarge and beautiful) hardly fit in boxes. for meat -plymouth barred rock and astrolorpe (am trying
both breeds out and culling time will tell) both take a long time to begin laying..friendly..large broad breasted...I have 2 roos (astrolorpe) one is
pure and the other mix..prefer the mix...have a rooster pen that contains an Isa Brown, RIR,Buff Orp.,and a mix. The only chicks I will buy are the
Isa Brown (from Townline Hatchery) love the mixes in the flock..have two white Isa's and the rest are reddish brown, black,gold and black...
all gentle and wonderful to look at......Have breeding pens (hoop pens with tarp top) being made to really experiment..fun..fun..fun..also have a
GROWING PEN...contains ALL chicks (10x20) this has been a blessing, feeding them diff. from adults can be a problem for they cannot eat
the same feed...adults free range also and chicks are safe from predators...Louisiana has many....well God bless your future....G
P.S. raising from you own stock means a stronger line...only my .02 G

Sounds like y'all have got it made in the shade. lol. I tell my wife all the time that I would love to have the life that you just described when we're retired and all (long ways to go, I'm 21 she's 22)
but we can still dream right. I'm working on my Buffs and you're correct about breeding your own there. If you want better layers you just breed better layers, if you want bigger birds for fryers you just breed the biggest birds you have plain and simple. Good luck with you're farm there. I hope one day I can I can post this very same thing. :)

Back
Top Bottom