Breeds for REALLY DARK brown eggs?

The hatchery marans that I have seen lay eggs in the range of 3 or 4 as opposed to good breeders who raise hens that lay 5-7 or above.

I'm glad to see some feedback from hatcheries.

Are you referring to hatchery Black Copper Marans vs. good breeder Black Copper Marans? Or are you comparing Cuckoo Marans eggs? Exactly which type of Marans eggs are you talking about?

My hatchery marans didn't lay any darker that a regular brown egg layer. I bought some BCM's from a good breeder and was shocked when she laid her first brown egg. SOOO dark.

I'm delighted to see some feedback from hatchery eggs.

Are you referring to hatchery Black Copper Marans vs. good breeder Black Copper Marans? Or are you comparing Cuckoo Marans eggs from a hatchery with Black Copper Marans eggs from a breeder? Exactly which type of Marans eggs are you talking about?

Sorry about that. I do know NOW that different variety of Marans lay different shades of eggs. At the time, the hatcheries had only the Cuckoo variety,and I wasn't aware of all the other varieties and the color difference. I guess I've learned alot over the years. It seems that the Maran has come a long way and are more available. Last year I thought I would try it again and got a BCM with feather feet. I really love this egg color.

I guess I have had the darkest variety and the lightest variety and shouldn't compare to harshly. LOL

I do know this... the egg color shown in the hatchery catalog was no where near the color I was getting.

I do know this... the egg color shown in the hatchery catalog was no where near the color I was getting.

That would sting.

I had heard before I'd ever even heard of a Black Copper Marans that the Cuckoo eggs had lost their color, while the catalogs still listed them as "chocolate" layers. It was kind of like the catalog writers didn't ever look at the chickens or eggs that they were describing.

I do like how Meyer does now (2012-this is my first catalog of theirs) show photos of 3 eggs from the Cuckoos. They look like a New Hampshire egg. The photo of the Black Copper Marans, however, are 1 light, 1 medium dark, and 1 dark. So 33% are a pretty decent representation of a dark Black Copper Marans egg. Even the medium would satisfy me when comparing how easy it would be to order chicks and get them in the mail when compared with the struggle I went through for my Black Copper Marans (hatching eggs shaken up in transit, 2 separate batches, 6 weeks babysitting an incubator).

I was thinking that Meyer only started selling these in 2009, right? It was posted somewhere that they got them from a fairly well known breeder. I have no way to confirm it, so I won't mention the name. I remember there being some sketchy comments back then like, "How could Breeder X sell Black Copper Marans eggs to a hatchery?" Some folks were scandalized. Maybe rightly so, maybe not. I don't have a horse in the race, so I'm just an spectator.

I have no idea if the hatchery will be able to maintain egg color over the years, but what's to stop them from just buying more breeder chickens from the same breeder they bought from before so that egg color can be retained in their hatchery stock?

So to me, my abbreviated summation would be: Hatchery=a risk possibly for egg color, but easy logistics. Breeder=a risk for shipping eggs, but you can see the egg color that your hens hatch from. Trade offs.

I'm glad you finally got your dark eggs from the Black Coppers. I think the eggs are pretty as can be.

Well stated. I was lucky enough to find a nice lady in Little Rock that has some great birds. I did buy some eggs, about 2 years ago, thru the mail that didn't hatch. Shipping is so hard on the eggs.

Black Copper Marans
thumbsup.gif
Make sure you see the eggs and the parents of the chicks/eggs before you buy them though. You won't get really dark ones from hatcheries.

900x900px-LL-a63d3616_IMGP2611.jpeg

Last edited:
Quote: It depends on the strain. Pure Fugate Cuckoo Marans have long been noted for their very dark eggs. I know there are at least a couple of folk out there on the Net who still keep the Fugate strain in its pure form. I do believe the Pure Fugate don't have the feather legs which is a problem if you want to show the birds. You would breed to add in the feathers in a generation or 2 by crossing to another very dark egg Cuckoo strain, then crossing back to the Fugate to restore egg color which will be a bit paler due to the cross. Can be fixed in a couple of generations.
Or find someone who has already done this. If you just want really dark eggs, then leg feathers aren't an issue for you. Best way to find a really dark egg laying strain of Maras is to see who is winning consistently at the egg shows, which results are posted online. Do not cross strains unless you are forced to do it.
Best,
Karen
Waterford English Light Sussex
western PA, USA

Last edited:
Some of the darkest BC Marans eggs I have gotten for hatching were from AYEUP. Shouldn't tell so I have less competition when she posts her eggs for sale.LOL. Many people find Marans eggs difficult to hatch. Just throwing that in for consideration.

I have a Maran (she's not a cuckoo though) and she is pretty small; I raised her from a chick. I got her from a local Feed Store and I know the owners so I trust them... That said; I repeat she's pretty small. "Reddy" is about 4 months old now. Are they slow growing chickens? She isn't real friendly like some of my other hens, but she's not pecky or anything either. Kind of a brave little girl to! lol. My Chihuahuas (dogs) always go into the hen yard with me to feed, collect eggs, etc. and "Reddy" will go right up to them and they have to move away first! lol.
I just want to know if Marans have brown eggs and if they are good producers. Oh and if there is a Maran that isn't a cuckoo... Okay, that didn't sound right - lol! Thank you everyone! God bless you al!!!

Back
Top Bottom