Breeds for REALLY DARK brown eggs?

I have a Maran (she's not a cuckoo though) and she is pretty small; I raised her from a chick. I got her from a local Feed Store and I know the owners so I trust them... That said; I repeat she's pretty small. "Reddy" is about 4 months old now. Are they slow growing chickens? She isn't real friendly like some of my other hens, but she's not pecky or anything either. Kind of a brave little girl to! lol. My Chihuahuas (dogs) always go into the hen yard with me to feed, collect eggs, etc. and "Reddy" will go right up to them and they have to move away first! lol.
I just want to know if Marans have brown eggs and if they are good producers. Oh and if there is a Maran that isn't a cuckoo... Okay, that didn't sound right - lol! Thank you everyone! God bless you al!!!

Could you please tell me; how much danger is there in losing chicks if you get them mailed to you?
I have gotten my girls from a lady on the outskirts of my town and from the local feed store here.
It's not that I'm not happy with my girls - I love them! But, there are some breeds I would like that the feed store doesn't get in.
I am wondering how long it will be before I will see a couple of eggs a week from my Maran - she is 4 months old.
*It is quite hot here, but my girls have a mister system and lots and lots of water to drink and stand in.
Also, do you happen to know if it's okay to keep turkens with your other chickens?
I will be thankful any help you can give me. Thank you and God bless you!!!

Black Copper Marans
thumbsup.gif
Make sure you see the eggs and the parents of the chicks/eggs before you buy them though. You won't get really dark ones from hatcheries.

900x900px-LL-a63d3616_IMGP2611.jpeg
WOW!!!!!!

Are these eggs from your chickens?? If yes, CONGRATULATIONS!!! They are gorgeous!!!
bow.gif

Do you have a website? Do you ship eggs???

My "black copper Marans" pullets from Meyer Hatchery turned out like this: one has white leg skin and copper neck, one has slate legs but no shank feathering, one has shank feathering but no copper. None of them are breeders and I sold them to someone who just wants dark eggs. I started again with POL pullets from local breeders who have good BCM stock and that's what I'd recommend. Starting out you are always buying someone else's culls, but those culls from someone that's been doing it a good while and breeding for the right things are going to be YEARS ahead of starting with inferior stock IMHO.

My Marian's took 10 months to start laying after they were full grown. But they finally did and the eggs are beautiful

My "black copper Marans" pullets from Meyer Hatchery turned out like this: one has white leg skin and copper neck, one has slate legs but no shank feathering, one has shank feathering but no copper. None of them are breeders and I sold them to someone who just wants dark eggs. I started again with POL pullets from local breeders who have good BCM stock and that's what I'd recommend. Starting out you are always buying someone else's culls, but those culls from someone that's been doing it a good while and breeding for the right things are going to be YEARS ahead of starting with inferior stock IMHO.
Do you have pics of the birds and/or their eggs? I have a Black Copper Maran from Meyer that is solid black, but she does have leg feathering. She just laid her first egg yesterday.

I have three Blue/Black Copper Marans mix chicks I'm picking up from a local farm Mar. 10 - 12. Straight run, no viewing of eggs before-hand. I'm crossing my fingers.

fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom