Brinsea Octagon 20 incubator wicking

VCChick

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 6, 2016
HI. Does anyone have any pictures of their Brinsea Octagon 20 of wicking with paper towels and how it's done and or of using a sponge or sponge pieces for water retention please? I didn't know whether I should cut a few pieces of sponge and lay in the egg tray and drip water through an aquarium hose onto it or use the paper towel wick. Does the paper towel wick suck up the water faster in the incubator during lock down? Thanks

I don't have any photos, but I have used both paper towels and sponges to increase and maintain humidity in my Advance 20. I just cut the rectangular sponges (I use antimicrobial ones) about 1/2" wide so the pieces fit snugly into the wells - one in each. Soak the sponges thoroughly and they'll keep the humidity high for the hatch.

To get the paper towels to wick, allow them to touch the water in the wells (under the tray). This won't increase the humidity as much as the sponges do, and they'll dry out much more quickly. I'd go with the soaked sponges in the wells over the wicking paper towels, or both if the sponges don't raise the humidity adequately.

Thank you for the reply. Do I fill the well bottoms to the length as well with the sponge? 1/2'' wide and length of well? Then pour the water on top of the sponge.

Pic courtesy of @sumi Hope it helps.

Thank you for the reply. Do I fill the well bottoms to the length as well with the sponge? 1/2'' wide and length of well? Then pour the water on top of the sponge.

YVW. If you cut along the long edge (Ocelo sponges are roughly 4.5" x 2.5" x .5"), you'll end up with a strip that should fit the well and take up pretty much all the space (center it) - squish it in there if needed, then pour the water on top. Stop when the sponge is soaked and the wells are full so you don't end up with water sitting on the bottom of the incubator. If the humidity isn't high enough after that, lay the paper towel on top as shown in @Yorkshire Coop 's post (@sumi 's photo).

Thank you! Pictures are really helpful Yorkshire. Got it now FoodFreedom! Thanks for all the help. :)

Last edited:
I was also thinking that some people put paper towel down on the tray in incubator for traction for the chicks. However I am thinking that may keep the humidity from rising and keep humidity low if using. Is it still recommended to use the paper towels for traction so they do not get splayed leg or do most people not use the paper towel or felt on tray bottom? Thanks.

I was also thinking that some people put paper towel down on the tray in incubator for traction for the chicks.  However I am thinking that may keep the humidity from rising and keep humidity low if using.  Is it still recommended to use the paper towels for traction so they do not get splayed leg or do most people not use the paper towel or felt on tray bottom?  Thanks.
I've used non-slip rubbery shelf liner in the bottom of the tray for traction, and it seems like paper towels would also work; further, I think the humidity will go right through the paper. I'm not convinced of the necessity of adding material for traction, though - because there's plastic mesh in the bottom of the tray, chicks are usually able to get around on it just fine. I didn't use any material for traction with my last hatch in a Hova-Bator Genesis hatcher - the mesh on the bottom is larger than in the Brinsea - and none of the chicks had splay leg.

IMO, I'd be more concerned about a slick surface in the brooder causing or contributing to the development of splay leg. Paper towels or potty pads are good as initial brooder flooring for newly-hatched chicks.

Back
Top Bottom