Brinsea "Periodic Incubation Cooling" Mode

ShelterFarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 4, 2012
Clayton, Ohio
In reading through the instruction manual (yes, a man that reads the manual - shocker) I read the section on the "Periodic Incubation Cooling" function of the Brinsea Mini Advance.

It is "Off" by default, but can be enabled through the Brinsea's menu. Basically it lowers the incubator temp for 2 hours each day, simulating the process of a hen getting up and "doing her thing" for two hours a day. There is an option to select the daily cool-down period of 60, 120, 180, 240, 300 or 360 minutes per day.

The instructions state that research has shown that cooling periods can greatly increase hatch rates.

What is the common thinking in regards to this? Has anyone used this mode? Should I use it?

Here's a shot of the page:

hmm.. I guess it makes sense because the mother hen does get up to eat, drink and strech almost everyday, but I've never seen that in instructions before. I remember others recommended that for goose egg and such, but not chickens. I hand turn my eggs and candle every night, so they cool down for a while, but not even close to 2 hours, maybe 15 minutes at the maximum.

I just read a few articles, it sounds like the cooling of the eggs like that is beneficial but I have never tried this personally. It would be neat to try out, there isn't a lot of information on this. I don't believe it would harm the eggs, so might as well try it. I don't know how the settings work, but I wouldn't start the 2 hours cooling process until after at least 7 days of incubation because the embryos are so fragile at that point.

I have done this with a single batch of bobwhites. My unscientific experience is that I had a greater increase in hatch rates and birth defects (foot problems), hatching also took longer than normal with more variation. I had all the fertile eggs in the batch hatch, but the foot problems lead to splayed legs, never an issue with my previous three hatches (all started on paper towels and promptly moved to wood shavings). Maybe these bird simply were not making it before... maybe it was due to the decline in breeding season... who knows? I'll have to wait until next year when my girls start laying again.

I used a mini advance with the cooling time set to the lowest setting. I set 7 chicken eggs from 3 different breeds. I removed 1 infertile/non-developing egg after day 7. All remaining 6 hatched on schedule and all on day 21.

I'm using this incubator at the mo I've set my cooling mode it kinda makes sense as the mother hen would get off the eggs at some point I go into lockdown on Monday I set mine on the start of day 8 as it stated don't start cooling mode till after day 7 carn't comment on the chick bit yet as its my first time using this incubator I had 6 eggs 2 non fertile 1 that died at about day 7 and 2 that look spot on don't think it was anything to do with the incubator tho oh and mine was deliverd eggs ;)

At what point did you remove the chicks from the brinsea and place them in the brooder, and did you place a paper towel or anything under the egg tray to prevent splayed legs and help them stand?

I have that rubbery mesh shelf liner, as someone here at BYC suggested. I cut it to fit the mini. I am sure a thick paper towel would work, but I think someone mentioned the paper towel might get wet. I don't know if that's bad or good, I have not used it. Brinsea says paper towel is fine so m sure it is. Good luck!

So I set up up last night and filled one of the cups with water as directed. Temp quickly came up to the correct point and man it's stable - fluctuates very little. For protection, I have it placed inside of a large foot locker so that I can keep it away from the prying eyes (and more importantly hands) of my children. I'll be setting the clutch late this evening.

At what point did you remove the chicks from the brinsea and place them in the brooder, and did you place a paper towel or anything under the egg tray to prevent splayed legs and help them stand?

I remove the turning tray during lock down and replace it with a paper towel with a hole cut for the water reservoir. In the brooder, I started with paper towel then layered pine shavings.

Yes, that's right. I too take the egg tray out and line the floor with the mesh shelf liner stuff. Keep us updated with the hatch, after candling etc.

I love how the temperature stays so stable in this incubator. Just follow the manual and you'll be ok. good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom