Broad breasted bronze...

TheMomther

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2023
I was directed to post here in this thread...
I have fallen into owning a broad breasted bronze baby. I would like for it to live long term, or as long term as possible as I'd like to keep it as a pet vs dinner at 6m.
What is the best way for me to achieve this?

I am currently feeding it 20% chick starter, mixed with nutritional yeast as its being raised with my other chicks.
I plan to grab some game bird starter and let it eat that separate from the other chicks.

I also have chick grit available, when do I need to offer oysters shells?

Picture of stuffing attached 💚

Attachments

• IMG20230303172651.jpg
    IMG20230303172651.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 15
How long have you had it? While the 20% is good very short term.
Turkeys, as game birds require much higher protein early in their life. While lower protein may slow their growth, I don't think that is the answer. You can't significantly alter the genetics in one generation.
Ideally, turkey poults should have 28% crude protein the first 4 weeks, 26% till week 8 and 22% till week 12. 19 or less is fine after that. Quality of protein is huge. That means, the ratio of amino acids in the CP. Turkey poults, and most game birds are raised in the spring in nature. That is when there is a significant amount of non-vertebrates available for them to eat. So the more animal protein you can introduce, the better.

How long have you had it? While the 20% is good very short term.
Turkeys, as game birds require much higher protein early in their life. While lower protein may slow their growth, I don't think that is the answer. You can't significantly alter the genetics in one generation.
Ideally, turkey poults should have 28% crude protein the first 4 weeks, 26% till week 8 and 22% till week 12. 19 or less is fine after that. Quality of protein is huge. That means, the ratio of amino acids in the CP. Turkey poults, and most game birds are raised in the spring in nature. That is when there is a significant amount of non-vertebrates available for them to eat. So the more animal protein you can introduce, the better.
I have had it for a few days. It's roughly a week and a half at this point. I'll get some better food and introduce that it. Thank you so much for the info 😊

Back
Top Bottom