Bronze broad breasted turkey

TheMomther

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2023
I have fell into owning a one week old bronze broad breasted turkey, I have seen where the life expectancy is only 6m... How true is this? I'd like to keep it as a pet and not dinner if able.

I'm currently feeding it a mix of the 20% chick starter and nutritional yeast.

Ah, so stick with the diet I'm giving it then. It's raised with my chicks so free feed is a bit unavoidable, but I'll start giving just enough for a meal twice a day or so to help regulate that

Lower protein, but it's hard to find the sweetspot since they still need protein for their bones to be strong enough to support their weight. Also not free feeding them
The problem is the lower protein feed for chicks doesn't have the other nutrients poults need. Lack of these increases the possibility of leg issues . A friend got 2 BBB and fed chick starter in 2018. One had to be put down after a $150 vet bill for vitamin and selenium shots that didn't help enough.... I believe it was 4 months old. The other is a hen that still moves around but I don't think he is doing her any favors.

The problem is the lower protein feed for chicks doesn't have the other nutrients poults need. Lack of these increases the possibility of leg issues . A friend got 2 BBB and fed chick starter in 2018. One had to be put down after a $150 vet bill for vitamin and selenium shots that didn't help enough.... I believe it was 4 months old. The other is a hen that still moves around but I don't think he is doing her any favors.
That's true too. Like I said, it's a sweet-spot between too low and too high. Mine was raised as a market turkey until it was about 3 months when we started to lower protein, but mine was never supposed to stick around after fair either so we didn't start him out trying to extend his lifespan

Last edited:
Poults need 28 to 30% game bird starter. You don't want to skimp on quality high protein feed for around the first 3 months or you're liable to cause some serious health issues.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom