Broken hearted

sarahdell

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2015
Palmyra, Tennessee
This morning our neighbors dog completely ripped apart our coop, an killed all but one of of our chickens. Lost 6 chickens total! My question is will he have to pay for damages or am I at a loss for a coop an 6 egg laying hens?

This morning our neighbors dog completely ripped apart our coop, an killed all but one of of our chickens. Lost 6 chickens total! My question is will he have to pay for damages or am I at a loss for a coop an 6 egg laying hens?
I would definitely confront him about the damages and see if he would pay. So sorry that happened!

Sorry to hear about your loss.
I am no expert by any means, but in most states chickens are considered livestock. Take photos, if you have not done so and make sure you have any "evidence" before you talk to your neighbor. If you feel like you can't talk to them, depending on where you live, sometime the local sheriff's dept. has an animal control officer that can "meet" with you and the neighbor and act as a moderator so both parties can come to an agreement.
You may want to make sure your remaining chicken is somewhere where the dog can't get to it, it may actually come back. Most canines will.
Good Luck.

Thank you for the advice! We do have the remaining hen inside, she is doing ok but we are not sure if she will recover. She is eating an drinking, an she is "talking" to us like normal, but she is not standing. She is missing many feathers, broken beak, an has 2 black eyes! We did contact the sheriffs office made a report an are waiting on animal control to contact us, the neighbors response to the ordeal was "sorry that happened, you can shoot my dog, but I dont have time to deal with this I have somewhere to go" an left before the sheriff showed up.... I'm completely heartbroken, the dog completely destroyed the coop, an broke the run an dug under our fence!

Thank you for the advice! We do have the remaining hen inside, she is doing ok but we are not sure if she will recover. She is eating an drinking, an she is "talking" to us like normal, but she is not standing. She is missing many feathers, broken beak, an has 2 black eyes! We did contact the sheriffs office made a report an are waiting on animal control to contact us, the neighbors response to the ordeal was "sorry that happened, you can shoot my dog, but I dont have time to deal with this I have somewhere to go" an left before the sheriff showed up.... I'm completely heartbroken, the dog completely destroyed the coop, an broke the run an dug under our fence!

I just want to say how sorry I am this happened to you, it must be awful :( I hope your little girl survives.
As for your neighbour "you can shoot my dog"?!?!?!?!
somad.gif
somad.gif
What a @#!%. I hope he has to pay the damages.

Thank you, I will keep you posted. Out hen Clementine is still the same, eating an drinking, but not standing. At this point I hope I am not causing her unnecessary suffering. We will see, hope she starts to improve soon, we sit outside with her in the sun an she just talks an closes her eyes, you can tell she loves it! If she doesn't make it, then she will at least be treated with respect her last few days.

Back
Top Bottom