BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

My brooder is four feet by eight feet and divided into two sections. It is in our garage because we raised winter chicks in it. We mounted four heat lamps inside of it and the center wall is removable to make it a large brooder which is what we just did for my six turkeys to stay in it a bit longer. Here are photos. Front view of brooder with doors closed. With both doors open. Left side of brooder Right side of brooder My baby chicks in one side of the brooder. My baby ducklings in the other side.
I LOVE THIS SET UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love GOOD JOB!! :thumbsup

I built this out of our old baby changing table.

I wanted it to look nice because I plan on using it through out the spring & summer.

The sides and bottom are Plexiglas and the back is corrugated plastic. Sealed with a water proof adhesive/glue.

I broke down and got a Brinsea [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EcoGlow 20[/FONT][/FONT] so I wouldn't have to risk having a heat lamp inside all of the time.
I'm using sand this so hopefully it will be easier to keep clean.

Now we wait!
pop.gif
In lock down with hatch date tomorrow!

I built this out of our old baby changing table. I wanted it to look nice because I plan on using it through out the spring & summer. The sides and bottom are Plexiglas and the back is corrugated plastic. Sealed with a water proof adhesive/glue. I broke down and got a Brinsea [COLOR=FFC000][COLOR=000000]EcoGlow 20[/COLOR][/COLOR] so I wouldn't have to risk having a heat lamp inside all of the time. I'm using sand this so hopefully it will be easier to keep clean. Now we wait!:pop In lock down with hatch date tomorrow!
Any news on your hatch? Very nice setup, looks expensive! I really like brinsea I just can't afford them lol.

My hubby and I used a sandbox that a neighbor was throwing out and some free hardware cloth from a family member to make our brooder. As the chicks got bigger we added deer screening for the ceiling (also free!) It's a bit misshapen in the photo because we had to disassemble it and then reassemble it to get it out of the basement and into the garage.

I wanted to put my babies (arriving this week) in something more appealing than the galvanized tub my first flock started in so I found this old dresser on the side of the road. After some work with the hammer, some paint, sticky tiles, a frame my DH made from wood scraps, a little hardware cloth and a couple hinges, I have a home for my babies that isn't an eyesore in my living room. Most of the materials I had on hand. I think I spent less than $20 for everything...

How long can 25 chicks live in a watermelon box until it becomes to small? The first 1-2 weeks I am going to have them in a smaller brooder for more heat but after that I plan on using the watermelon box.

Last edited:
It Will depend on how BIG the chicks get in 2 weeks......dont feed them too much and they will remain smaller....heh heh heh heh heh ........ANYWAY....

Just make sure they have room to move around freely so they can get away from the heat or cold, get plenty of water, food, and good personel

attention...................zip

Back
Top Bottom