BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

The watermelon/cantaloupe box idea from the store was fabulous. I am getting 30 chicks tomorrow and was still at a loss as to where I was going to put them. I have guinea keets in my usual chick brooder and it's a bit too small for 30 chicks. So I was reading through this thread this morning, called walmart and within an hour had a cantaloupe box that will make a perfect brooder! The only thing I need to add tomorrow is some wire to the top, just for safety in case the light falls. (After I took this photo I moved the light up and attached to my laundry room sink)

This is my first chicken brooder. I found this old bookcase in the neighbors trash. It just needed a little TLC. I cleaned it, took the shelves out, replaced the cardboard backing with ply wood, made a couple of hinged doors, sanded and painted the exterior.

Here's mine it's a 42in long and 20in wide Rubbermaid container with two heat lamps and a few toys( stuffed toy, mirror, exc.) it's all set up and all I need is my chickies!!!!! I'm expecting 6 female silkie bantams from mpc on the 19th.

Last edited:
Here's mine it's a 42in long and 20in wide Rubbermaid container with two heat lamps and a few toys( stuffed toy, mirror, exc.) it's all set up and all I need is my chickies!!!!! I'm expecting 6 female silkie bantams from mpc on the 19th.
Unless they will be in extremely cold conditions I would highly advise taking the heat lamp out of one end and keeping the food and water at the cooler end. They have to have a place to go to get out of the heat if they get too hot. Make sure to get a thermometer in there at chick height otherwise the elevation of the heat lamp can make it easily 110 in there. I speak from newbie experience :D

Unless they will be in extremely cold conditions I would highly advise taking the heat lamp out of one end and keeping the food and water at the cooler end. They have to have a place to go to get out of the heat if they get too hot. Make sure to get a thermometer in there at chick height otherwise the elevation of the heat lamp can make it easily 110 in there. I speak from newbie experience :D
This is my 11th batch of chicks. The reason I have two is with one the temp is 70 ,they are very low wattage. I will take one out and take the temp. To see what it is thanks. Also there are two so they can switch off or be on together. I still have time to experiment.

Back
Top Bottom