Broody hen DIED 2 week old chicks

I looked at the age again, they are 2 weeks and 5 days. It’s 72 in the coop, they seem okay and they are sun bathing for the sunny part. I don’t want the other chickens hot and i would prefer to keep them out there because i don’t want to reverse introduction.
How feathered are they?

How feathered are they?
They look kinda like this.
E39F3965-5852-42EB-AE99-3C47CE1172F2.jpeg
They have some tail feathers, they seem to be doing fine.

So many attempts to be helpful, but the best bit of advice is from @TheDawg . Find a heating pad. Find something furry (not made of yarn or they can choke on the fuzz) to attach to the bottom side of the heating pad to simulate the warm fluffy underside of a broody hen. No need to move the chicks other than to make it safe for them.

The heating pad should be raised up and shaped so it's high enough for the chicks to crawl under while still touching their backs so they can directly contact the heat. Forget trying to make a 90 degree brooder. In another week, the chicks won't need heat during the day because they will have enough feathers to conserve body heat as long as they consume calories. At night they will require heat until age five or six weeks when they will wean themselves off heat.

Leaving the chicks in with the other chickens will reserve their status as flock members, eliminating the need for integration at some point.

What are the temperatures in the coop at night? Chicks that are 2 weeks old are much hardier than many give them credit for. They will be fine in a 72 degree coop as long as they can snuggle together. I have had chicks that young without a mother in the coop. One set had a cardboard box they slept in. It was very toasty when they snuggled together in it. Another time I put a heating pad out. It dipped below 40, but in the morning the chicks were huddled away from the heat pad, but they were fine. If your night temperatures are cool and you want to use a heating pad make sure it doesn't automatically shut off.

So many attempts to be helpful, but the best bit of advice is from @TheDawg . Find a heating pad. Find something furry (not made of yarn or they can choke on the fuzz) to attach to the bottom side of the heating pad to simulate the warm fluffy underside of a broody hen. No need to move the chicks other than to make it safe for them.

The heating pad should be raised up and shaped so it's high enough for the chicks to crawl under while still touching their backs so they can directly contact the heat. Forget trying to make a 90 degree brooder. In another week, the chicks won't need heat during the day because they will have enough feathers to conserve body heat as long as they consume calories. At night they will require heat until age five or six weeks when they will wean themselves off heat.

Leaving the chicks in with the other chickens will reserve their status as flock members, eliminating the need for integration at some point.
Agreed.

I'm sorry about the broody. I would however check her over really well for signs of injury or lice/mites. Then check the chicks really well for lice/mites too. If there's bugs, then you'll want to address them.

Azygous has got you covered. I had a broody once desert her 2 week old chicks once and they survived fine, snuggling with each other for heat, roosting in a nest box, and latter all 5 on the roost. But it was warmer then. The others were already used to them, but be careful when they are around the older birds. I would try to fence off the corner where they are located, maybe with plastic chicken wire or screen. I hope that your chicks do well.

Thank you so much. I have a heating pad but it’s not raised, it would sit on the floor. I would put a cloth underneath and on top, will this work or is it necessary to be raised? (It’s about a foot in length)

I do have a triangle cat hideaway i can place it in. Dixie has not already mixed them into the flock, she seemed uncomfortable with it.
4A06F3D4-BDAD-4688-B84A-C100E3EF8486.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom