Broody hen... Sit!!!

nursemeh

Songster
11 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Conroe, Texas
Has anybody ever used an old large dog kennel, 3 ft by 2ft. for this?

My dear Clementine is broody for the second time ever in her life!!! She was such a wonderful, dedicated momma last year that even though I JUST had 20 chicks just arrive in the mail I am letting her sit on her little clutch.

I waited until night and then I moved her entire nest(plastic box) from the nest area in the coop into our old large dog kennel. It is the heavy duty plastic type, small holes around sides for air flow but fully covered top. She is right outside the coop/run area. When the kennel door is shut it is secure- that door is really, really hard for ME to open.

28316_broody_002.jpg

What do ya'll think?

Quote:
Yes! Just, not for a broody
wink.png
I think I will, though, when the time comes. At the moment we have our Guinea in the cage because some friends are going to pick her up to keep her while we are out of town. But, back to Clementine, she is beautiful! Good luck with those chickies!

Do you keep her in there with the door shut? If so you maight want to put some litter down on the floor of the kennel so when she gets up to use the bathroom you will have an easier time cleaning it up instead of scraping it off the the bottom! I'm new to this sort of thing so hopefully that helps! I hope you have a great hatch!
smile.png

thanks for reminding me about putting down litter!!! I was just so excited to find that she was still sitting tight after we'd moved her during the night. heh, heh, my dad just laughs at me whenever I am AMAZED that my hen is sitting on her eggs....I guess he saw it all the time growing up in the Louisiana country.....

Out to throw some pine shavings down before she does a massive momma poop in there!!!!

Although I haven't tried this myself, it seems pretty secure. I don't think even a raccoon could open those crates. I suppose the only risk might be a large predator trying to turn the crate on its side, but Clementine would probably remain safe, unless a raccoon tried to grab at her through the holes. That might be pretty unlikely, but its something to think about.

funny- the holes were bugging me too and I just covered them with hardware cloth- I will post another poc tomorrow- i cannot stand to think of anything(raccoon) reaching thru and pestering her!!!!

thanks!!

Mary

Back
Top Bottom