Brown Red American Gamefowl and throw backs

Seeing as most gamefowl back in the day were bred for gaminess. Instead of to a standard of color. It is common to have throw backs of other colors pop up. My Beaton Hatch are Black Breasted Reds. I get an occasional Wheaten from them.
I’m aware that color doesn’t matter, especially for the old school. I suppose I was curious about this particular family because calling a black breasted red bird a brown red seems confusing. It’s understandable given the available history but I was looking for any other information out there.

I’ve seen guys have what they call a Black Hatch, which with limited information could be a similar and maybe opposing situation, seeing that Hatch have the Irish brown red ancestry, and in Alabama the brown reds had Hatch blood infused. Just trying to know more about the fowl I been breeding.

I’ve a family of Brown Reds I’ve been breeding for a few years and have a cock that threw two BB Red (wild-type) colored chicks out of a clutch last year and so far two more black breasted red chicks this year.

I know Joe Wingate infused Red Horse, Shuffler and Whitehackle blood over the years into his brown reds as well as ginger and mahogany colored fowl and at some point Hatch were infused in Alabama. Joe Wingate also used Asils for separate lines but I am wondering if anyone else out there breeds brown reds.

If so, does anyone get throw back colors? I’m assuming this gene is coming from the Hatch blood found in some of the Alabama Brown Reds, but am curious.

The brown red cock that threw these colors is attached below.
If you have a Facebook I recommend you search the group *Backyard breeders show Fowl* almost 80,000 members throughout the USA there’s a lot of breeders who breed brownreds there I recently bought a brood cock from a gamefarm named * JD GAMEFARM JD* truest looking wingates you can find your question will truly be answered there sir you will love that group if you love fowl if you don’t have a Facebook I recommend making one not at all hard if you can use this than you’ll have no problem there’s also a search in the group of previous post and questions,pictures etc.if you need help let me know I would love to see you on that group and know about your brownreds sir

I’m aware that color doesn’t matter, especially for the old school. I suppose I was curious about this particular family because calling a black breasted red bird a brown red seems confusing. It’s understandable given the available history but I was looking for any other information out there.

I’ve seen guys have what they call a Black Hatch, which with limited information could be a similar and maybe opposing situation, seeing that Hatch have the Irish brown red ancestry, and in Alabama the brown reds had Hatch blood infused. Just trying to know more about the fowl I been breeding.
3CBB214B-DC98-461C-8D72-31E84C7C4EE7.png
3CBB214B-DC98-461C-8D72-31E84C7C4EE7.png

Back
Top Bottom