Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are numerous breeders around the country that would help you add Buckeyes to your flock.

I have added two links for you to review. Both are from the 2 Buckeye groups some names are the same across both lists but some are not so that is why I am posting both for you. Good luck and hop you find what you are looking for.
thumbsup.gif

http://www.americanbuckeyeclub.blogspot.com/p/breeders-directory.html from the American Buckeye Club

http://www.americanbuckeyepoultryclub.com/Breeders.html from the The American Buckeye Poultry Club

Walt, this has been in discussion of late on some other forums. However, on page 12 of the SOP you can find the definition of STRAIN as opposed to LINE when referring to the lineage of any given bird or group of birds. I am sure you know what difference I am referring to with your vast experience in the poultry world. That was all I was pointing out to WyandotteTX.

Yes, it defines 'Strain". It does not say why that is different from "line" and they are used interchangeably online...and other places......have been for the 50 years I have been doing this. The point is that there is an effort to discredit a person and this effort is using a lot of energy that could be used to promote the breed rather than running down people. Every time there is more than one club there is a reason...and it is usually the same reason. The bottom line is the breed suffers and usually a person does not have to be a genius to figure out who the bad guys are.

My suggestion is that folks promote the breed rather than ill will. These are just chickens folks........

w.

Hello Everyone.......Here is a great story of buckeyes finally coming home to the old Metcalf farm. Please read and pass around to all of your buckeye friends. It is clearly a historical event. Also old maps and pictures of the old homestead as well. Every buckeye friend should understand how cool this is.
http://americanbuckeyeclub.blogspot.com/

There are very few real breeders of any breed of chickens. There are a lot of propagators though. Reproducing poor specimens of chickens is very easy and the internet is a great place for wanna be's to become "experts" or worse yet..."breeders". If they have done it for over 10 years they might be a breeder....if they haven't....don't trust them.

Walt

Nice to be back from my busy hiatus.

FWIW, my Buckeye males are generally darker than my females and therefore, have very little sun fading. Younger birds sun fade less than older birds, and new feathers look better than older feathers. Isn't this generally true of all breeds with color?

My birds free range but tend to stay out of the sun when it is hottest & brightest -- staying in shade during the peak sun. This is not just a Buckeye thing, but I have noticed the same trends with my La Fleche.

I can show pictures of free ranging birds that are dark too. I can also show you some 4 & 5 year old Buckeyes hens that are faded. I kept them for breeding for their excellent type & could not care less about their color at their age. I do not see the big deal.

Chris McCary

Ok. I know I'm new here.
But I do not like the idea of anyone adjusting their color spectrum for any reason before posting pics. It does not help anyone get a true idea and it causes drama. If the camera is doing that then I'd suggest getting a new one. Silly to have to even post this.
And second of all it is my understanding that all breeders of buckeyes should be working dually with Mrs Metcalfs thought process and (her standard) along with the "legit" sop.
Again why can't these two dueling thought processes not come together for the benefit of what we all want which is to have buckeyes which meet both, to be as popular as other breeds and on most every farm and suburban coop.
I stay quiet and shake my head and outright laugh at the ridiculous cat fight and downright FOWL behavior on here. It really does not honor who you are or your purpose with buckeyes to make most of us ignore these threads because its a soap opera.
You all need to play nice.

If you want to know if any jpeg picture has been modified, just pull it off to your desktop and check the exif info that is embedded in the jpeg. Those two photo's have not been altered in any significant way. Now that is pretty crazy too! Digital pics are all over the place in tone after they are posted online at 72dpi (lowrez). Don't ever go by color you see online or in a digital format..it is never true color. Yes, these online threads do get pretty crazy...no doubt about that.....

Nettie was a wonderful lady, but she has nothing to do with the APA Standard.....as you say the "legit" Standard is the one you find in the APA SOP. If you show in northern America, that is the only description used.

Walt

Last edited:
Quote:
I should clarify that my birds do not jump up on my lap (only some of my Ameraucanas have done that, in the past.) But they are very friendly, and come running when they see me!

And yes, I have had some hens who feathered in much lighter after molting. I am not sure why, but it seems like a "normal" thing for Buckeyes. Not all of them do it, but some do.

Well I finally had a decent weather day so I let out my buckeyes and took some pictures of them playing today. The pictures do not do them justice but I still think they are nice and they were having a good time today.
smile.png

11289_chickens_2_007.jpg

11289_chickens_2_003.jpg

11289_chickens23_016.jpg

11289_chickens_2_011.jpg

11289_chickens23_009.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom