Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My little chicks are growing up! The biggest is about 3 and a half pounds now, the smallest just shy of 3bls. They'll be 13 weeks old on Wednesday, and they're starting to make the weirdest noises. Not quite big bird noises yet, but not baby peeps either. This afternoon they were getting way too rowdy in the brooder, so I took about half of them and put them outside in the tractor for the afternoon. Rounding them back up to put them back in the brooder for the night was much easier than I thought it was going to be. If we could just stop getting overnight lows below freezing we could set up a pen out back and move them outside permanently. They need more space than they have right now in the brooder. And we'll need the brooder for the chicks we have coming in at the end of the week.

Weeping is leaking fluid to the outside of an egg shell. Looks like a tear. From what I have been told it might as well go.

Dan

Ah, thanks Dan. I didn't know that's what it was called. Those hatching eggs that I mentioned before that were rotten did that after just a day or three in the incubator. I called it "sweating" as I didn't know what else to call it. Little hard yellow beads would form on the outside. Took them out and they smelled rotten. Tossed 'em. Definitely don't want that in my 'bator!

Btw, someone mentioned Ms. Rau a few posts back. I got some eggs from her 2-3yrs ago and half of them hatched with SC. When I talked with her about it she told me she had gotten a new roo from someone due to a dog attack or something (don't remember for sure & would have to go back and look at the email) but she also hatched chicks with a SC and said she got rid of the roo and all those birds. I got rid of all those chicks too.

God Bless,

All,
I have a question for you. We've hatched dozens and dozens of chicks over the years, but as I was preparing for lockdown today, I had a question that had never occurred to me before. When you stop turning, do you typically leave your eggs in the turner, or do you take the turner out and lay them in the bottom of the incubator? Is one way better than the other? We've done both and had success doing both, but I just was curious if there are any good, hard facts to support one way as better?
Thanks!

Well, I have a separate hatcher, but when I had just the one, I would always take them out of the turner, as I was afraid they'd get tangled in the tray/apparatus.

All,
I have a question for you. We've hatched dozens and dozens of chicks over the years, but as I was preparing for lockdown today, I had a question that had never occurred to me before. When you stop turning, do you typically leave your eggs in the turner, or do you take the turner out and lay them in the bottom of the incubator? Is one way better than the other? We've done both and had success doing both, but I just was curious if there are any good, hard facts to support one way as better?
Thanks!

The makers of Brinsea say to remove the incubater from the cradle and LG advises removing the auto turn apparatus from the incubator. Hope that helps!

Riftnreef, I don't know Ohio locations/distances, but if I was going to buy from anyone in Ohio my first choices would be Joe Shumaker of Shumaker Farm, or Jeff Lay. Joe's website is in my sig line I think, or google "American Buckeye Club blog" where there is quite a breeders' list including Joe.

edited by staff to remove link

Last edited by a moderator:
All,
Thanks!
I've had a couple of chicks get stuck under the plastic egg trays in my GQF 1502, one of which resulted in splayed leg, so now I always take them out and lay the down on day 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom