Buff brahma x barred rock eggs

15663266032066754181110423862918.jpg
15663267222643280024310267968303.jpg
I have a Buff Brahma dad and barred rock mama. Just recently hatched a completely black chick at 28 days incubation under Chancleter surrogate. I almost threw the egg out after 23 days but the mama was so faithful to those eggs that I waited. So glad I did. 3 eggs hatched. One on day 21 (Buff Brahma and brown leghorn cockerel), The black chick day 28) that the surrogate decided to start pecking at so I separated them, Then another on day 30 (Buff Brahma and brown leghorn).
I was wondering where the solid black chick came in, thankful that I found the answer here.~ Michelle

The black and gold pullet is the now grown cross between Buff Brahma rooster and barred rock hen. The rooster in this pic next to her is from the sam buff brahma da and a brown leg horn hen

It takes about 25 hours for an egg to make its way through a hen's internal egg making factory. That egg can only be fertilized in the first few moments of that journey. That means if a first mating takes place on a Friday, Friday's egg is not fertile. Saturday's egg might or might not be, depending on timing. Sunday's egg will be fertile.

About the last part of the mating act is that right after the rooster hops off the hen stands up, fluffs up, and shakes. This fluffy shake moves the sperm to a special container near where the egg starts its journey. The sperm can remain viable in that container and available to fertilize eggs from 9 days to maybe even more than 3 weeks. It varies some. Most of us count o two weeks.
That's amazing! Sorry I'm late to this thread, thinking of breeding my Barred Roo to my Dark Brahma hen. I thought they were just fixing their feathers and primping but that is a great fact. Thanks for sharing

That's amazing! Sorry I'm late to this thread, thinking of breeding my Barred Roo to my Dark Brahma hen. I thought they were just fixing their feathers and primping but that is a great fact. Thanks for sharing
For the black sex link to work, so you know sex at hatch, the barred rock has to be female. You can put a RIR or Buff Brahma rooster to breed the BPR hen. She only has one barring gene which she gives to her sons, but her daughters won't be barred. A barred rock rooster has two barring genes. If you look closely at a barred rock rooster, he looks lighter than barred rock hens. That's because of his double barring gene, he has double the white feathers a hen would have. So you can breed a barred rock rooster to a dark brahma hen but all the offspring will be barred because he will give one barring gene to his sons and one to his daughters too. It's confusing because chicken genetics are opposite of humans. The hen determines the sex of the egg. So to make black sex link chicks, the hens need to be barred and the rooster non-barred. I hope this helps!

View attachment 1883709 View attachment 1883716

The black and gold pullet is the now grown cross between Buff Brahma rooster and barred rock hen. The rooster in this pic next to her is from the sam buff brahma da and a brown leg horn hen
I'm on here looking for photos and saw your comment. From the little I know, the black and gold bird could not have resulted from a brahma x BR. The bird in your photo looks fibro. She has dark/slate legs. It's impossible for yellow-legged, white/yellow skinned parents to produce a bird like that.

Back
Top Bottom