*Buff Orpington Thread!*

[SIZE=4[B]]Here are a couple of our buffs sharing space in the communal nest this morning...they have just started laying during the past 10-12 days...getting about 6 eggs a day right now from 16 pullets. These 2 have all the room they need to spread out but they seem to like laying right together like they are best friends and talking about boys...(rosters)....ha![/B]

[/SIZE]

They do look like BFFS
big_smile.png

Came home from work today and quickly noticed my laying hen had something happen to her comb. Upon further inspection I noticed blood splatter in the coop. She is fine, I think, acted fine when roaming the backyard later during the day. Not sure what really happed, however, I hope this is not the other pullet who is just about to start laying (started to squat the other day) suddenly trying to establish some pecking order. Both chickens were living together since I got them at 6 weeks of age back in April.

Now, when I was trying to inspect the comb and applied some water onto the head of the affected hen, she was super calm and seemed to enjoy it. My son was holding her when we applied the water and then... she just dropped an egg! Right on the ground! Clearly it was meant to be tomorrow's egg because it was soft (all the other eggs including one from earlier this morning have been perfect).

Can chicken lay an egg when feeling happy? Or, to the contrary, was she super stressed?

Last edited:
Being stressed or frightened will cause them to drop an egg, either to lighten their load or feed the predator.

[SIZE=4[B]]Here are a couple of our buffs sharing space in the communal nest this morning...they have just started laying during the past 10-12 days...getting about 6 eggs a day right now from 16 pullets. These 2 have all the room they need to spread out but they seem to like laying right together like they are best friends and talking about boys...(rosters)....ha![/B]

[/SIZE]

I have 3 that won't lay if they aren't all 3 in the nest lol, when one hatched chicks though had 9 trying to fit into one nest cause they wanted to do that too lol. guess broody can be taught after all, but some just don't get that hen sat there for 21 days and get a little impatient, but went from she expected em to hatch same day cause she was sitting on it finally up to 17 days, maybe next spring will let her try, for now hatching a few in the incubator to give her cause she hasn't laid an egg in 4 months cause she wants babies and causes a lot of stress trying to take others nests.

[SIZE=4[B]]Here are a couple of our buffs sharing space in the communal nest this morning...they have just started laying during the past 10-12 days...getting about 6 eggs a day right now from 16 pullets. These 2 have all the room they need to spread out but they seem to like laying right together like they are best friends and talking about boys...(rosters)....ha!
[/B]
[/SIZE]

looks wonderful!! How old were the buffs when they started laying? Ours will be 20 wks Wednesday.

looks wonderful!! How old were the buffs when they started laying? Ours will be 20 wks Wednesday.
we had 2 that started laying at 16 weeks old and then the 3 stooges that were almost 6 months old before they started laying, Not sure what caused such a wide variation they were all on the same feed and everything

we had 2 that started laying at 16 weeks old and then the 3 stooges that were almost 6 months old before they started laying, Not sure what caused such a wide variation they were all on the same feed and everything
yeah, pretty weird how they all vary.

We got the 1st egg on 8/20 when they were 18 weeks and 5 days old...they will be 22 weeks old tomorrow 9/12. We have slowly worked our way up to 6 eggs some days and 4 or 5 other days.

A few years ago we had one BO girl (we called her little red) to lay on the day she was 18 weeks old...seems like we always have at least one early girl and she laid almost every day thereafter, we had 15 more girls and we didn't get another one to lay until 4 weeks from the day we got little red's first egg.

I just sold 14 ISA Browns who were egg laying machines...we raised them to point of lay and then sold them. The first one of the ISA's laid at 14 weeks and 6 days old...and everyday thereafter I think. Within 2 weeks we were getting 13-14 BIG beautiful brown eggs per day...!

Back
Top Bottom