*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Pics
Well, not sure what to do now. The mama hen is sitting on the babies. But she is not getting them out to feed or drink. They were in the floor this morning and she was still in the nest. Put them back and they stayed all day. I went out this evening and put them out to eat and drink. They really ate! Mama freaked out and ran outside and then went right by them and came back to the nest and left them. It is cold here tonight and I am so afraid for them. I think she will keep them warm, but not sure that she realizes they are not eggs still.

Well, not sure what to do now. The mama hen is sitting on the babies. But she is not getting them out to feed or drink. They were in the floor this morning and she was still in the nest. Put them back and they stayed all day. I went out this evening and put them out to eat and drink. They really ate! Mama freaked out and ran outside and then went right by them and came back to the nest and left them. It is cold here tonight and I am so afraid for them. I think she will keep them warm, but not sure that she realizes they are not eggs still.
Are there ANY unhatched eggs left in the nest ? You need to remove those, if they're are. Does Mama hen have a secure place to eat, and drink with her babies, without exposing them to the rest of your birds ? She needs that. Fence off a corner if you can.How high is the nest off the floor ? Build a ramp if it is over 2 inches high so the babies can follow her.

Last edited:
ok so my ladies and gents are seven weeks yesterday so I was wondering if anyone felt like weighing in on their opionions about sex.... pretty sure one and two are roos hoping three is just a big combed pullet even since her wattles are smaller and her comb is not as red as the other too but I think Im just kidding myself and the last three Im almost positive are all girlies what do you guys think?

John Denver

Curt Cobain

Joan Jett (because we are hoping she is a girl)

Penny lane, Olivia newton John, and Cindy Lauper in order of apperance

ok so my ladies and gents are seven weeks yesterday so I was wondering if anyone felt like weighing in on their opionions about sex.... pretty sure one and two are roos hoping three is just a big combed pullet even since her wattles are smaller and her comb is not as red as the other too but I think Im just kidding myself and the last three Im almost positive are all girlies what do you guys think?

John Denver

Curt Cobain

Joan Jett (because we are hoping she is a girl)

Penny lane, Olivia newton John, and Cindy Lauper in order of apperance
3 boys and 3 girls.

man thats what I was thinking thanks dragonlady! Oh well! We are hoping to have one nice rooster and the other two will have to go but hopefully we will get some new fluff balls from these girls (and boy) next year!

Yeah I had to break DH heart & tell him that 3 BOs are roo & 2 have to go. He told me to go get more BO pullets because Colonel Sanders is here to stay as well as Uncle Si. Apparently he's named them lol Sooo decision time. I tried explaining that getting chicks could mean more roos accidentally in the pullet bin. I secretly feel his pain. I am partial to my BOs & don't want to get rid of any. Nobody wants the cockerels it seems. Hard to rehome so they may be in the fryer flock soon. :(

Last edited:
OK I have 18 that were supposed to all be hens... well one decided to be a roo yesterday about 5am. He crowed from then on, but hid in the roost so I can't tell who it is. I see several of them with combs and red wattles. Surely they can't all be roos or I am in big trouble. I promised my neighbors no noise from roosters.
I will try to post some pics later this evening to see if anyone can let me know.

My husband was turkey hunting this weekend...Needless to say he came home to 4 new Buff Orpington chicks!!! :)

If we could have someone's input as too when we can put them in the coop, that would be great. The chicks are about a week old. We have 12 Black Sex Links, a Silver Sebright, 2 Gold Sebrights and a White Old English. They are all about 7 weeks old. Thank you in advance! :)

Back
Top Bottom