*Buff Orpington Thread!*

@sebloc If I were you I'd wait a week or two before opening the nesting boxes for them to explore. So when they are about 20 weeks old or a little more...

You can put a 'false egg' in there to help them realise that this is a nest for laying in. A false egg could be a specially bought wooden egg, or a hard boiled egg (make sure you mark it with a X in pencil, so you can tell which egg is which! And don't eat it later when it's served it's purpose - it will've gone bad being left out in the nest box all that time) or even a golf ball will do!

They are getting close to laying when you see their combs and wattles getting more red, and they will do a 'submissive squat'
here is a web site that gives really good, easy to understand information on when chickens are ready to lay, and a photo of a hen doing submissive squat (sounds like an aerobic exercise, doesn't it?
big_smile.png
) - http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/02/when-will-hen-begin-laying-eggs-what-to.html

Just don't get too impatient waiting for that first egg! Sometimes nature needs a little time....
smile.png

The main problem is, some of ours are showing signs of laying while the others need a couple of weeks or two. I've already put golf balls in the egg boxes hoping that would give them an idea. Two of ours already are walking in and out of the box. The rest (including our buffs) aren't doing much to experiment with it.

Last edited:
The main problem is, some of ours are showing signs of laying while the others need a couple of weeks or two. I've already put golf balls in the egg boxes hoping that would give them an idea. Two of ours already are walking in and out of the box. The rest (including our buffs) aren't doing much to experiment with it. 

I always leave my nest boxes open. I can tell when they are ready to start laying because they go and start sitting in the box instead of just scratching the hay out lol. :)

Here are some pictures I got of them this morning, they have had an increase of red around the eyes and sort of around the comb/waddles.

They always come over to the camera no matter where they are.

The other one as well

Not much comb.

One of our other chickens in the bg.

No matter where they are, they automatically want to see the camera.

Last one I promise

What's the worst thing that can happen if I leave the nesting boxes open? If they do sleep in them I can break the habit immediately. Might as well give them some experience.

Should I have the egg box open? I opened it today thinking I would give them time to explore it and get use to it. Thanks.

Quote:
If they have consistently been roosting at night, then by all means, go ahead and open them up. Like the others mention place some golf balls, wooden or porcelain eggs in the boxes. (I found porcelain/ceramic eggs at TSC). It may take a few weeks before you they even start to explore the boxes. The first chicken I had climb in and out of boxes and make a fuss was my BO rooster
hmm.png
he clucked and nestled, etc., I suppose he was showing the girls this is where it all takes place. But...a few weeks later a few of the girls started getting in and out, exploring, then came an egg...the others that were not at POL paid no attention to the boxes until about 2wks before they started to lay.

You have some cute girls there, they are pinking up, but I would say it's going to be a while longer. Those BO's are camera hogs.

If they have consistently been roosting at night, then by all means, go ahead and open them up.  Like the others mention place some golf balls, wooden or porcelain eggs in the boxes. (I found porcelain/ceramic eggs at TSC).  It may take a few weeks before you they even start to explore the boxes. The first chicken I had climb in and out of boxes and make a fuss was my BO rooster:/ he clucked and nestled, etc., I suppose he was showing the girls this is where it all takes place.  But...a few weeks later a few of the girls started getting in and out, exploring, then came an egg...the others that were not at POL paid no attention to the boxes until about 2wks before they started to lay.

You have some cute girls there, they are pinking up, but I would say it's going to be a while longer. Those BO's are camera hogs.

Lmao I have a polish rooster that does the same thing. It's hilarious lol :p

Can I post Buff Orpington crosses here?
I am new to this site. Here is kinda what I'm looking for:
I had a Buff Orp rooster X Dark Brahma hen hatch a brood of 6. Had some coyotes come in 3 nights ago and take all our chickens (2 hens with broods + our rooster) and leave me only this one chick. It was sort of a no other option thing to name [him?] Lucky.
I am trying to find out if there is anyone else with this cross and what he/she will look like as an adult? Also I think it is a male but not sure so help there would be nice too! And would this cross be considered a sexlink? I am attaching a pic of Lucky. He is about 2 1/3 to 3 weeks old. Hopefully the photo uploads correctly.

Can I post Buff Orpington crosses here?
I am new to this site. Here is kinda what I'm looking for:
I had a Buff Orp rooster X Dark Brahma hen hatch a brood of 6. Had some coyotes come in 3 nights ago and take all our chickens (2 hens with broods + our rooster) and leave me only this one chick. It was sort of a no other option thing to name [him?] Lucky.
I am trying to find out if there is anyone else with this cross and what he/she will look like as an adult? Also I think it is a male but not sure so help there would be nice too! And would this cross be considered a sexlink? I am attaching a pic of Lucky. He is about 2 1/3 to 3 weeks old. Hopefully the photo uploads correctly.

To early to sex. If I were you I would Google it and go to images. That's how I always find out what they look like. Not sure on the sex link thing. So sorry about your flock. I would be inconsolable... :(

Back
Top Bottom