*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Can I post Buff Orpington crosses here?
I am new to this site. Here is kinda what I'm looking for:
I had a Buff Orp rooster X Dark Brahma hen hatch a brood of 6. Had some coyotes come in 3 nights ago and take all our chickens (2 hens with broods + our rooster) and leave me only this one chick. It was sort of a no other option thing to name [him?] Lucky.
I am trying to find out if there is anyone else with this cross and what he/she will look like as an adult? Also I think it is a male but not sure so help there would be nice too! And would this cross be considered a sexlink? I am attaching a pic of Lucky. He is about 2 1/3 to 3 weeks old. Hopefully the photo uploads correctly.
Welcome to BYC.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Sure it a cute chick, I don't know which way the cross would work. You can ask on the General Breeds Forum or What Breed or Gender Is This Forum. There are folks on there who understand the crosses and sex links much better than I do at least.

2nd night. None are in the egg boxes, all roosting. They've been in the coop and have started roosting since, around 5 weeks. No problems with chickens pooping in the egg boxes and/or sleeping in them. 2 of our barred rocks went in and out of the nests, and they've been doing that since I opened them. Expecting an egg from them in the next couple of weeks.

Why you callin' my girls "cute?' wanna fight?
lol.png
jk. Our buffs seem the slowest to mature. Thanks.

I think our 18wk old buffs will be next to start laying:) they have been squatting and have gotten quite dark red earlobes too. So far only 1:15 18 wk Olds have laid and it was GC, yesterday.
Do you think feed or supplements have a help in laying? I'm so excited for whenever they officially start

Woo Hoo!!! Got our first egg from a BO who will be 20 weeks on Monday. So a little on the early side of when they usually come into lay.

Unfortunately, she was confused about where to lay it and laid it on the roost where it must have rolled off and broke because they ate it.

2nd night. None are in the egg boxes, all roosting. They've been in the coop and have started roosting since, around 5 weeks. No problems with chickens pooping in the egg boxes and/or sleeping in them. 2 of our barred rocks went in and out of the nests, and they've been doing that since I opened them. Expecting an egg from them in the next couple of weeks.

Why you callin' my girls "cute?' wanna fight?
lol.png
jk. Our buffs seem the slowest to mature. Thanks.
gig.gif

I've only had one hen sleep in a nesting box, a Wyandotte. Of course the days are getting a little shorter...we are surrounded by trees, so the coop got dark - I guess her clock needed resetting
big_smile.png
She slept there all night - laid her egg, but did not poop- nice clean nesting box - I was amazed at such a large poo when she came out that morning though, poor thing held it all night.

I think our 18wk old buffs will be next to start laying:) they have been squatting and have gotten quite dark red earlobes too. So far only 1:15 18 wk Olds have laid and it was GC, yesterday.
Do you think feed or supplements have a help in laying? I'm so excited for whenever they officially start
IMHO I don't think feed/supplements have anything to do with helping speed up when they will lay. Each one matures and comes into lay on her own schedule. Much like human girls mature at different rates, each has their own "rhythm" so to speak.

Woo Hoo!!! Got our first egg from a BO who will be 20 weeks on Monday. So a little on the early side of when they usually come into lay.

Unfortunately, she was confused about where to lay it and laid it on the roost where it must have rolled off and broke because they ate it.
wee.gif
Happy Dance for first egg!!!

@sebloc you have some beautiful baby BOs there, But they still look like babies, teenagers at most. They will need a while longer before they start laying. I know it's hard, but be patient. Go ahead and open the nesting boxes if they are already using their perches. Like you say, the worst that can happen is they start sleeping in the boxes, then you'll get poop on the eggs later and have to break them of the habit. But just because the egg boxes are open doesn't push them to laying before their time
smile.png

Relax! Nature knows what she is doing and your girls will start laying when their bodies are mature enough to cope with the feat of laying egg.

:gig

I've only had one hen sleep in a nesting box, a Wyandotte. Of course the days are getting a little shorter...we are surrounded by trees, so the coop got dark - I guess her clock needed resetting:D She slept there all night - laid her egg, but did not poop- nice clean nesting box - I was amazed at such a large poo when she came out that morning though,  poor thing held it all night.

IMHO I don't think feed/supplements have anything to do with helping speed up when they will lay. Each one matures and comes into lay on her own schedule. Much like human girls mature at different rates, each has their own "rhythm" so to speak. 

:weee Happy Dance for first egg!!!
thanks for your honest opinion. It's amazing but confusing as only 1 GC laid and only Tuesday, no more eggs from anyone yet.
Congratulations on your first Buff egg!! At just shy of 20 wk, great for BO. How dark was it? Our GC is speckled almost like RIR eggs

Back
Top Bottom