*Buff Orpington Thread!*

That's a beautiful egg!

They do start out small, but will get bigger
smile.png
Yes, I put it on my egg scale and it didn't even register. It's soooo tiny. But I'm so excited. I love those first eggs. Can't wait for her sisters to come into lay.

Question for the BO people out there. How long do your BO's live? On average. I love love love my BO's but I feel they leave this world much too young. About 3 years of age is average for me.

My Jersey Giant is 6 years old.

I just can't decide if the BO's are more prone to getting stuff or is that just the average life span for them.

What would cause a year old hen thats been laying normal size eggs to revert to as smal or smaller than when she first started laying 7 months priot?
Is it only 1 or 2 times - how many small eggs is she laying?
Change in feed, weather, stress/disturbances, reproductive disorders, overcrowding and illness, can sometimes cause a change in egg size, but sometimes if it is just 1 or 2, this can be "fart egg" or "fairy egg".

Question for the BO people out there. How long do your BO's live? On average. I love love love my BO's but I feel they leave this world much too young. About 3 years of age is average for me.

I just can't decide if the BO's are more prone to getting stuff or is that just the average life span for them.
I haven't had my BO's long enough to weigh in on the answer. It would be interesting to know.

Is it only 1 or 2 times - how many small eggs is she laying?
Change in feed, weather, stress/disturbances, reproductive disorders, overcrowding and illness, can sometimes cause a change in egg size, but sometimes if it is just 1 or 2, this can be "fart egg" or "fairy egg".

I haven't had my BO's long enough to weigh in on the answer. It would be interesting to know.
been every one for a month they are normal eggs just extra small. heats been pretty bad and now we are getting ready to head into fall, no changes in the coop or feeding. will keep you updated if that changes it, she's a year and a half old

Great question and I too would love to know. For those of you out there curious - the average chicken breed coop & run kept lives to about 7-8 years old. This is reduced to 5-6 years for free range chickens. The Guinness Record longest living chicken was Matilda who lived to be 16 years. BUT she never laid a single egg, which puts wear and tear on a little chicken's body and she was kept inside the house of the owners and given premium food, etc.

My buff Orpingtons are all hatchery and all free range. I currently have two 8 year olds, and a couple of others ranging from 3 months to 6 years. I find them more long lived than some other breeds.

Hey guys I have a question about my lemon cuckoo orpington chick. I asked on the general orpington thread but no response. I hatched a lemon cuckoo but it has black spots on its head. Is this possible or am I looking at something else. Thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom