Buff Orpington x Barred Rock results (pics)

Quote:
I very much appreciate these pictures and will appreciate seeing the chicks mature.

Do you expect to have them as adult birds?

I hope so, for the benefit of my education (if for no other reason
wink.png
).

Steve

Quote:
The reason you got different colors is because BLUE barred birds are different than BLACK barred birds. Blue acts differently than black, because, when crossed with certain colors, can produce more variety in colors, such as khaki, fawn/dun, blue, black, platinum and splash. Blue, black and splash being the usual colors. Fawn, khaki, and platinum are too complicated for me to list off the bat. Those are the colors that most likely popped up with your girls. But because the rooster was BLUE barred, the color patterns were different.

We just incubated a batch of eggs and got three chicks that are a Buff Orpington X Barred Rock cross. They are now a week old. From what I understand they are sexlinks and the female is the gold faced and the males are silver faced.

True if the BO was the father and the barred rock the mother. In which case you have 2 boys and 1 girl

So did the gold one turn out to be a pullet? My thoughts are that she is---they look like several of our BO/BR and BR/BO hatches. GL!!!
Yes the goldens were girls and the silvers were boys. I was just so confused because they all grew out so fast and even the girls had big thick legs. One girl layed at 16 weeks, the others at 18 & 19 weeks. Light brown/tan eggs, a bit on the small side even now. But they are very sweet. There is some variation in color and pattern, two are more gold and one is mostly black. I'll have to get some new pics up soon. The boys went to freezer camp and were a very good weight for their age. Have to go to work, will try and find my record and tell the weight and age later

I've been working on these Buff Barred Rocks for six or seven years and have this to show for it. The problem is that the hens don't express the barring as well as the roosters. There is no Orp. in them, however there is White Rock and R.I.R. in them. Thought some of you might be interested.
Very handsome fellow. I now have standardbred Buff Orpingtons and Buff Plymouth Rocks. Just waiting for the pullet eggs to size up so I can get hatching.

Back
Top Bottom