Buff Orpington x Barred Rock results (pics)

Pics
I've been working on these Buff Barred Rocks for six or seven years and have this to show for it. The problem is that the hens don't express the barring as well as the roosters. There is no Orp. in them, however there is White Rock and R.I.R. in them. Thought some of you might be interested.
Very handsome fellow. I now have standardbred Buff Orpingtons and Buff Plymouth Rocks. Just waiting for the pullet eggs to size up so I can get hatching.

I was interested in the cross girls
There are pics of them when they were younger on this page; https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/229407/buff-orpington-x-barred-rock-results-pics/30#post_10334998

They looked about the same when they grew up; gold & black= pullet silver & black= cockerel. One of my pullets did have more black than gold on her and turned out to be the biggest of those I hatched. She is the only one carried over to this year. She has been broody once and was a good mamma. I don't have any current pics of her tho

Here are a couple pics with the hens that I'm using this year. The hen with better head has poor buff color and the two with better color have have poor heads, imagine that! BTW, it was Valentine's day and one of the girls wanted to celebrate.

Last edited:
They sound pretty; My girls all look a little different but the one that is mostly black looks the biggest. I'm going to breed her to my EE boy this fall.

Did you ever throw an EE into the mix? Since the blue egg gene is carried by the male I'm guessing it would be best to use an EE roo? I'd love to see what potential a BO/BR/EE "mutt" has! Those three are my favorite breeds. Think there would be any possibility of blue eggs, or would they just be olive eggers?

Did you ever throw an EE into the mix? Since the blue egg gene is carried by the male I'm guessing it would be best to use an EE roo? I'd love to see what potential a BO/BR/EE "mutt" has! Those three are my favorite breeds. Think there would be any possibility of blue eggs, or would they just be olive eggers?
Not yet, have been busy hatching with other breeds and projects. I did keep the one BOxBR girl that was mostly black and if she continues to be a good layer this year may try her out with my EE this fall. Just had too many other things going on and not enough breeding pens this past season.

Ok, so I have some older chicks now from a BO roo and BR and then I have some from the same BO roo and 2 different Easter Eggers. This here is Sammy. I thought he was a she for a long time until he started crowing. He was born with a gold face and no spot on his head. He is going to be a beautiful rooster if I decide to keep him. His BO dad is aggressive. He has a green sheen on his black tail feathers that you can't really see in the pic.

I also have a few other roo's that I think are going to look a little different, they are a few weeks younger yet.

Here are the BO/EE roo's. This is Babycakes...

This is Joxer

I only had one chick pop out with a spot on their head. I am assuming it is a roo, but he looks different than Sammy and they have the very same parents.

This is Artemis

Right now Artemis is a real sweetheart and I'm trying to keep him that way. But I swear he looks so much like his mother that I'm not convinced yet that he is a roo. But he was the only one out of the whole lot of 12 chicks that had a spot on his head.

I have a Buff Orp roo that I'll not be breeding my Buff Orp hens to in spring, and likewise for my Barred Rock hens. I think in order to make them useful, and not have to rehome I'm going to try a sex-link cross of the roo and hens. From what I've read, at hatch I should be looking for a white dot on the heads to identify the males? This thread was so great to stumble upon because now I have a reason to hang on to these birds that I've fallen in love with ;)

Back
Top Bottom