Buff Orpington x Barred Rock results (pics)

I am so glad I saw this today. I have been trying to find out what a BOxBR would look like. I had some hens hatch out eggs and I knew they were either RIRxbarred or BOxbarred. One of them started out gray with buff around its face and looks like the pullet pic above but softer coloring. My barred hens are a mix, tho. 2 dom's, 2 cuckoo marans and 1 unk barred sort. So I don't know which kind of barred the mother is.

I got a couple of quick updated pics today. The chicks are 11 days old today. I'm going to keep them, I want to see how the hens lay when they get older. I had some black sex-links a few years back that laid HUGE eggs. They always looked like they were double yokers but were not. The ones I have now just lay large eggs. These chicks seem to be bigger than what the other sex links were, and they are super sweet also, very friendly. If anyone would like to try some, I have lots of extra eggs. I'll send them out for the price of shipping/materials.
Roo
22467_slroo2.jpg

22467_slroo.jpg

Pullet
22467_slpullet2.jpg

Pullet
22467_slpullet.jpg

Fun looking birds there, would love to see some more recent pics too!

For the poster who said that if the roo was the barred one all the chicks would be barred - not so! Guess it depends on how many genes etc but I have a blue barred cochin roo and I have two pullets from him over BO hens and they are both not barred! Both have lighter heads, the one is more gold with a dusky darker body and the other has a 'dark gold' head with what looks almost a dark brown colour body. No barring at all. I know that the Buff genes work really differently than a lot of the others and can throw in some unusual colours.... for what it is worth, I am by no means knowledgable ... just learning in little steps.

Fun looking birds there, would love to see some more recent pics too!

For the poster who said that if the roo was the barred one all the chicks would be barred - not so! Guess it depends on how many genes etc but I have a blue barred cochin roo and I have two pullets from him over BO hens and they are both not barred! Both have lighter heads, the one is more gold with a dusky darker body and the other has a 'dark gold' head with what looks almost a dark brown colour body. No barring at all. I know that the Buff genes work really differently than a lot of the others and can throw in some unusual colours.... for what it is worth, I am by no means knowledgable ... just learning in little steps.

sorry duplicate post

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom