Build or buy a coop?

JustAChickenMom4

Chirping
Apr 23, 2023
Hello! So I’m gonna get another coop for my bantams because my full size chickens are beating them up, now I was going to buy one but maybe I should build one? I was wondering, how hard is it to build one? What supplies do I need? Do you have any tips and the biggest question I have is how much did it cost to build yours? Thank you! Those are my bantams!

Attachments

• 878C27BE-8571-424C-8817-382E9D0C1D06.jpeg
    878C27BE-8571-424C-8817-382E9D0C1D06.jpeg
    595 KB · Views: 37
  • C21F927F-9882-4246-8A65-BD3DBAA3AFD4.jpeg
    C21F927F-9882-4246-8A65-BD3DBAA3AFD4.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 018D2AF0-0F5C-4727-8DFF-EA474E334149.jpeg
    018D2AF0-0F5C-4727-8DFF-EA474E334149.jpeg
    432.1 KB · Views: 8
Your full size hens shouldn't be beating up your bantams as a matter of course. It sounds like your main coop is too small to comfortably fit all the birds. Can you post pictures of it?

Where in general do you live? That will determine the type of coop you should build.

Converting an old shed into a coop is one of the easiest and fastest ways to get the job done and have something that will last for decades.

Do you have any carpentry skills and tools?

Your full size hens shouldn't be beating up your bantams as a matter of course. It sounds like your main coop is too small to comfortably fit all the birds. Can you post pictures of it?

Where in general do you live? That will determine the type of coop you should build.

Converting an old shed into a coop is one of the easiest and fastest ways to get the job done and have something that will last for decades.

Thank you, here’s some pictures, I live in North eastern US, Im not the best at carpentry, but I think I could do it, I don’t have a shed I can turn into a coop

Thank you, here’s some pictures, I live in North eastern US, Im not the best at carpentry, but I think I could do it I have tools, I don’t have a shed I can turn into a coop .

I was wondering, how hard is it to build one? What supplies do I need? Do you have any tips and the biggest question I have is how much did it cost to build yours?
Two tips:

--make it bigger than you think you need (common recommendation: 4 square feet of floor space per chicken, plus space for more chickens that you might want in the future. Extra space usually makes the chickens happier and less likely to beat up on each other, especially if they have to stay inside during a long winter.)

--You can learn from other people's experience in the articles section:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/medium-coops.19/

Some of the articles have quite a lot of in-progress photos, some give a list of materials they used, some mention how much it cost. A few examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/eastern-shore-classic-coop.73500/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/backwoods-playpen-coop.63391/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/in-the-norway-pines-coop.63290/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/colorado-coop.66096/

Definately make it bigger than you need right now. I started out with 14 this year and have 56 now in various ages. Plus I have 6 young turkey, 4 geese and 9 ducks. I had to build another coop (8'x12') and run for the waterfowl (pictured) and in the process of expanding my chicken coop from 20'x10' to 20'x30" which will include 5 breeding pens for the French black copper Marans I bought most recently and the American Bresse I am picking up this weekend. After the addition I'll add the watering system and larger feeders. Next spring I plan to add runs on the side with the breeding pens. I guess I have too much time on my hands. 😁

Attachments

• 20230517_160240.jpg
    20230517_160240.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Definately make it bigger than you need right now. I started out with 14 this year and have 56 now in various ages. Plus I have 6 young turkey, 4 geese and 9 ducks. I had to build another coop (8'x12') and run for the waterfowl (pictured) and in the process of expanding my chicken coop from 20'x10' to 20'x30" which will include 5 breeding pens for the French black copper Marans I bought most recently and the American Bresse I am picking up this weekend. After the addition I'll add the watering system and larger feeders. Next spring I plan to add runs on the side with the breeding pens. I guess I have too much time on my hands. 😁
Chicken math beat you like a redhead step child. :gig

Back
Top Bottom