After carefull consideration our family decided to add a small flock to our backyard (March 1, 2017). We turned to Backyard Chickens at almost every step of the process. Enjoy the build!
We were inspired the most with the “Chez Poulet” design. With 6 Rhode Island Reds in the brooder, I wanted a coop big enough to make them very comfortable.
Pic of the brooder. The kids made it look like a barn.
I based the dimensions of the coop to allow for 3 ft.² of space per bird.
Storage area / Nesting box 2’x6’
Total footprint is 6’x12’
I used 4”x8”x16” blocks for the foundation.
With a lot of help from the gang, we built trusses in the garage. If you want to cut your time in half, don’t paint. I only used treated lumber for the sill plate. I used Valspar exterior paint purchased at Ollie’s for $18 a gallon to paint the studs.
Disregard the German Shepherd taking credit for all of the work.
If by now you are wondering what level of construction experience I have, I will admit I have very little. I have always been good with a hammer and a wrench and my dad taught me a lot but I’ve never built a house. I did built a few sheds, shingle some roofs and helped with some decks when I was in my teens and 20s but construction is not my day to day. I’m about to reveal my biggest trick and secret with this project considering there are few tutorials on how to build a chicken coop on the internet. I found a lot of construction advice by researching how to build a shed. THIS IS A SHED after all with a few modifications.
As you can see, the whole family was involved!
This is where I personalized and modified the original inspiration. I wanted a storage area big enough to hold feed, bedding, garden tools and anything else you could imagine. When you lower the nesting box door, you have additional space inside the nesting box area to set egg cartons and other accessories.
The finished business end on the coop.
I spent approximately $1500 in materials. The roof alone was over $200 and I can’t even do the math on all the hinges and latches that went into it. The most challenging part of the build was constructing the 8 doors, two vents and one Guillotine poop door. Without having blueprints or plans, I had to carefully consider each dimension.
Thank you for following along. I give a ton of credit to Backyard Chickens and the community found here for all of the assistance! Now, it’s my turn to help some of you. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
For size perspective...that’s a 5’7”, good looking blonde that knows how to cook and make some good looking babies!