Building my first coop

Epnh77

Chirping
May 30, 2019
New Hampshire
54BDEE79-67BA-4C94-B59A-DAB7F02CE209.jpeg
I’m pretty new to having chickens, and decided to build a coop after starting the spring and summer in a pre-fab that was clearly not going to work for the New Hampshire winter. I’m no carpenter, so this has been a learning experience for sure. Currently I still need to add siding, trim, and a permanent run — I did what I could to move them in as it’s getting colder now. Since taking the last picture I’ve added a window that can be opened.

My next hurdle is keeping everyone alive all winter.

Last edited:
You will want to extend the roof over the nest box about 2' to keep snow and rain off of it. Easy to do before you finish. Also put a roof over the run slanting to the rear of the first photo because rain/melting snow will from the coop will go into the run making it muddy.

JT

You will want to extend the roof over the nest box about 2' to keep snow and rain off of it. Easy to do before you finish. Also put a roof over the run slanting to the rear of the first photo because rain/melting snow will from the coop will go into the run making it muddy.

JT

Thanks! I am starting to plan the new run now and will do that. I hadn’t thought about overhang for the nesting box but that makes a lot of sense.

Leave it open between the rafters both high and low for winter ventilation.

I have a small vent under the two overhangs and this larger one over the door... do you think more is needed? Also the window opens completely for warmer weather.

4EBE6F2B-2831-44F4-8065-5180EAB4BFFD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom