The start of my build...

So.. I'm almost finished with this build.. or maybe not. 🤨 It's been chilly (20s) last couple of days. The coop is facing south and we have a southwesterly breeze today. Which probably means a breeze is coming through top of the ventilated area of the coop. Do I need to figure a way to block those vents? Does frostbite only occur if the coop holds/has a lot of moisture? Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20231122_162318213.jpg
    PXL_20231122_162318213.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20231122_162340368.jpg
    PXL_20231122_162340368.jpg
    965.5 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20231122_162554285.jpg
    PXL_20231122_162554285.jpg
    744.7 KB · Views: 12
So.. I'm almost finished with this build.. or maybe not. 🤨 It's been chilly (20s) last couple of days. The coop is facing south and we have a southwesterly breeze today. Which probably means a breeze is coming through top of the ventilated area of the coop. Do I need to figure a way to block those vents? Does frostbite only occur if the coop holds/has a lot of moisture? Thanks!
Can you stand inside the coop to get a feel for the air movement?
Where are the roosts in relation to the vent...pics inside?

Can you stand inside the coop to get a feel for the air movement?
Where are the roosts in relation to the vent...pics inside?
I can go inside but would need someone else to open latch for me to get back out lol. Here's a pic of the roost.. up against front wall over their heads I would imagine...

Attachments

• PXL_20231122_160937962.jpg
    PXL_20231122_160937962.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 15
I can go inside but would need someone else to open latch for me to get back out lol. Here's a pic of the roost.. up against front wall over their heads I would imagine...
How much higher are the vents vs roost? An easy test is to go inside the coop on a typically windy day, with a light ribbon, and hold in about a foot above the roosts and see what it does. A little movement is fine, means there's air coming by but not enough to ruffle feathers. What you don't want is a lot of movement.

Also get the latch situation resolved. :) Way too many people on here get locked in their coops. It's impossible with mine.

How much higher are the vents vs roost? An easy test is to go inside the coop on a typically windy day, with a light ribbon, and hold in about a foot above the roosts and see what it does. A little movement is fine, means there's air coming by but not enough to ruffle feathers. What you don't want is a lot of movement.

Also get the latch situation resolved. :) Way too many people on here get locked in their coops. It's impossible with mine.
Thanks.. I have a plan for the latch and I'm going to lower the roost about 6 inches. I also plan to build the run off the front of the coop with a pitched roof falling the opposite way.. should help cut down on the amount of wind going into the coop. Thanks again!

Good morning! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and hope to finish this by weeks end. I have a couple questions... I would like to have the ramp go up to the entry door as shown by the tape measure in the picture.. and would like to know if you think it's too steep? I'd ike it to be a ladder style ramp. Would 2x2 rungs be adequate for them to climb.. and what do you think the spacing should be? I would like to use shredded pine bark mulch in the run.. will that be okay? Should under the coop be a different material.. like sand and soil for them to dust bathe? Or.. should I put a divider under there and that section sand and dirt? I make my own compost and have some finished.. should I throw some of that in the whole run area? TIA!

Attachments

• PXL_20231201_195313515.jpg
    PXL_20231201_195313515.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20231203_201257067.jpg
    PXL_20231203_201257067.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
That run roof will do wonders to block strong winds from the coop vent.

I would like to have the ramp go up to the entry door as shown by the tape measure in the picture.. and would like to know if you think it's too steep? I'd ike it to be a ladder style ramp. Would 2x2 rungs be adequate for them to climb.. and what do you think the spacing should be?
Put a concrete block(16") under low end of ramp to reduce angle.
I would recommend a board ramp 12" wide with 1x1 cleats space 4-6".

I would like to use shredded pine bark mulch in the run.. will that be okay?
Should be OK.
The larger the pieces of wood, the better it will work and the longer it will last.

Should under the coop be a different material.. like sand and soil for them to dust bathe? Or.. should I put a divider under there and that section sand and dirt?
What's the soil like there? I'd just leave it as is for dusting.

I make my own compost and have some finished.. should I throw some of that in the whole run area?
Save that for the garden.

That run roof will do wonders to block strong winds from the coop vent.
I think so too!
Put a concrete block(16") under low end of ramp to reduce angle.
I would recommend a board ramp 12" wide with 1x1 cleats space 4-6".
Good idea.. I will probably make a little landing though with all the materials I have left over

Should be OK.
The larger the pieces of wood, the better it will work and the longer it will last.
Okay.. I'll mix with some wood chips someone dropped off from a tree job.
What's the soil like there? I'd just leave it as is for dusting.
The soil is good under there. My compost piles used to be there.
Save that for the garden.
Okie dokie... Thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom