The start of my build...

tsgarvey

Chirping
Nov 6, 2023
South Central PA - zone 6b
Hello all! Just joined.. first post. We will be first time chicken owners and live in South Central PA. I started building my coop a couple days ago. I'm just taking concepts from what I've seen in pictures/videos and trying to apply it to my build. I'm not a carpenter and just figuring things out as I go. The tall-wide side is the front and faces almost due south. The top section of the front will have hardware cloth across the entire top. I did a lot of reading regarding "open air" coop and decided that's the route I'd like to go to an extent. If my coop was deeper I'd probably come further down with the hardware cloth opening. There will be approximately two feet of overhang with the slanted roof.. front and back.. that will hopefully keep inclement weather from getting into the coop. I plan on using the "deep litter" method and will have a door on the short side for cleanout. I raised the nesting box area in preparation for that but forgot to raise entry door... so will have to the change that today. So... I guess the reason for my post is to get feedback/suggestions from others with experience. My only questions at this time are... should I consider other areas around the coop for ventilation and airflow... especially in the summer? And... should I consider another access door on the opposite short side of the coop? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20231107_122850160.jpg
    PXL_20231107_122850160.jpg
    838.1 KB · Views: 143
You need more than one opening for ventilation, even if it's a large one. There needs to be a way for the air to move through the coop. The triangular areas on the short sides would be good candidates.

Looking good, so far!

Okay... would you consider making the entire triangular piece open or just some vent holes in those areas?
The entire area. Vent holes add square inches of ventilation. You want to think about square feet. The general guideline is 1 square foot of open* area per chicken.

* means covered with hardware cloth. I think you made reference to hardware cloth, but for someone reading this later, I wanted to mention it.

Another possibility could be to leave the soffit area open at the back of the coop for airflow?
Definitely leave the soffits open, front and back.
Because the coop is rather short you may need to baffle the ones closest to roost in winter.

"South Central PA"
Welcome to BYC! @tsgarvey
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1699401654362.png

Excellent.. thank you!
The entire area. Vent holes add square inches of ventilation. You want to think about square feet. The general guideline is 1 square foot of open* area per chicken.

* means covered with hardware cloth. I think you made reference to hardware cloth, but for someone reading this later, I wanted to mention it.

Definitely leave the soffits open, front and back.
Because the coop is rather short you may need to baffle the ones closest to roost in winter.

"South Central PA"
Welcome to BYC! @tsgarvey
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3678769
Okay.. thank you! I haven't decided how or where to situate the roost(s) yet? Should I have more than one? I was thinking of putting it from the front left (southwest) corner to the middle of the back wall just above the nesting box. I believe this would keep them below all of my open area at the top. Make sense?

Attachments

• PXL_20231107_214549724.jpg
    PXL_20231107_214549724.jpg
    757.6 KB · Views: 26
Okay.. thank you! I haven't decided how or where to situate the roost(s) yet? Should I have more than one? I was thinking of putting it from the front left (southwest) corner to the middle of the back wall just above the nesting box. I believe this would keep them below all of my open area at the top. Make sense?
That would work, baffling the back soffits with foam type furnace filter or cardboard on rafters partway up from top of wall.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ventilation-baffling.75434/

Plan on 1' of roost length for each bird.

Here's some tips about heights:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

Back
Top Bottom