Building New Coop/Barn...Phase 5 Great Barn Build, OCCUPIED! 3/6/16

Quote:
I totally get it. Everything you have expressed has crossed my mind since we will be leaving our family behind here to live in the mountains. I know that what I am about to say sounds very jaded and negative but from what I have observed in our family, the people who get their kids to help them are the ones who guilt them into it. My Mother-in-law is a prime example of that.
wink.png

A friend of mine and I were talking the other day about this very thing and she said that in her next life she was going to be a needy whiner so she will have people falling over themselves to help her. LOL! It seems that when you are a capable, self-reliant, motivated individual, people sometimes think you do not need help. I was raised to do everything myself so I have a hard time asking for assistance even when I need it. When I do see kids helping out their parents out of love and just because they want to it really warms my heart.

I totally get it. Everything you have expressed has crossed my mind since we will be leaving our family behind here to live in the mountains. I know that what I am about to say sounds very jaded and negative but from what I have observed in our family, the people who get their kids to help them are the ones who guilt them into it. My Mother-in-law is a prime example of that.
wink.png

A friend of mine and I were talking the other day about this very thing and she said that in her next life she was going to be a needy whiner so she will have people falling over themselves to help her. LOL! It seems that when you are a capable, self-reliant, motivated individual, people sometimes think you do not need help. I was raised to do everything myself so I have a hard time asking for assistance even when I need it. When I do see kids helping out their parents out of love and just because they want to it really warms my heart.

You hit the nail on the head. Couldn't have said it better myself. And to add to that, kids tend to see their parents as they did when they and the parents were younger. They don't see the parents having more and more health issues, or just plain old age creakiness, and they tend to rely on the parents still, not turn it around to help the ones who raised them. They are sort of blind to the fact that their parents are aging, maybe just plain in denial.

ETA: I'd fall over with gratitude if someone just said, hey, let me rake up all those leaves around the house for you, gimme that rake. Anything like that would make my day, I swear, sigh.

Last edited:
We have an extreme example of kids not being aware of their parents' limitations in my immediate family. My 48 yr old sister and her two teen age children live with my Mom and Dad. My sister and her husband divorced last year and she was fired from her job (she was a nurse for 22 years) because of an addiction to prescription pain killers so she and her kids went to live with my Mom and Dad. The other day I drove up to my parent's house to see my 87 year old feeble Daddy raking the yard. I was incensed because my sister, and her two lazy girls were inside on their laptops messing around on FB. GRRRRRRRRRR............................. They got an earful! My Daddy is 87 and my Mom is 85 but my sister treats them like they are still in their 40s and she is still their 6 year old. She is going to be in a fix when they pass on.

We have an extreme example of kids not being aware of their parents' limitations in my immediate family. My 48 yr old sister and her two teen age children live with my Mom and Dad. My sister and her husband divorced last year and she was fired from her job (she was a nurse for 22 years) because of an addiction to prescription pain killers so she and her kids went to live with my Mom and Dad. The other day I drove up to my parent's house to see my 87 year old feeble Daddy raking the yard. I was incensed because my sister, and her two lazy girls were inside on their laptops messing around on FB. GRRRRRRRRRR............................. They got an earful! My Daddy is 87 and my Mom is 85 but my sister treats them like they are still in their 40s and she is still their 6 year old. She is going to be in a fix when they pass on.

Sounds exactly like Ladyhawk's elderly neighbor (mid 80's) who is caring for her brain damaged granddaughter (her daughter died of drug overdose, granddaughter fell out of a truck or something and hit her head, in her 40's or 50's now). They mooch off her, won't take her to get her medicine or to the doctor. Ladyhawk has taken up the slack numerous times, cussed out her no-good son for letting his mom cut the grass with a push mower while he sat on the porch watching her, etc. Some people are just no darn good, I think.

The floors are done except the area where all the sections meet in front of the roll up door. Not sure how to connect them all but will do something, maybe just some 2x4s on their wide sides and plywood attached to them, which will be lower than the other floors, but will cover the bare floor-with-plastic that's there now. I got a gallon of Orange Guard and will spray it in all the cracks and crevices of the barn around the floors. Next, a table across the back as a surface to use at waist level and a shelf or two, then loft areas for stuffing bags of shavings and bales of hay up onto.

The floors are done except the area where all the sections meet in front of the roll up door. Not sure how to connect them all but will do something, maybe just some 2x4s on their wide sides and plywood attached to them, which will be lower than the other floors, but will cover the bare floor-with-plastic that's there now. I got a gallon of Orange Guard and will spray it in all the cracks and crevices of the barn around the floors. Next, a table across the back as a surface to use at waist level and a shelf or two, then loft areas for stuffing bags of shavings and bales of hay up onto.
I am getting the fun house effect, which end is up?

Back
Top Bottom