Building walk in shed style coop

There is a cabinet under nesting box enclosed or will be I should say which the cans can go in and the cans can be in run area which will be protected from rain etc there is a roof. Or we could even build a lil cabinet in there I just want to make sure it’s good. We used the old metal trash can type can to keep animals out We are also storing the bedding supplies under the nesting boxes or supplies we may need and cleaning equipment We figured we can change things around if need be as we go and we figure it will be trial and error until we see what works for us
It is narrow but we were trying to keep it simple to clean and maintain and it’s only 8 chickens so 32 sq foot everyone said was plenty of space. They will only be in there at night to sleep unless it’s really bad weather and they have to go in but they have a large run area

There is a cabinet under nesting box enclosed or will be I should say which the cans can go in and the cans can be in run area which will be protected from rain etc there is a roof. Or we could even build a lil cabinet in there I just want to make sure it’s good. We used the old metal trash can type can to keep animals out We are also storing the bedding supplies under the nesting boxes or supplies we may need and cleaning equipment We figured we can change things around if need be as we go and we figure it will be trial and error until we see what works for us
That should be good enough as long as rain is excluded from the spot. I have a little roofed mini patio near my run that I keep my feed and some bedding materials on occasion, and even without walls of any sort it stays just dry enough under there to store things.

I’m in North East but not to far from the shore dew points get like 60-70% sometimes in summer… I think summer would be the only issue probably? And as long as not too humid probably should be ok …. Would just check it to be sure I guess and if so go to another feeder system. I want to be able to lock up the feed with caps at night to limit any rodent activity as much as possible. We have cats that roam from neighbors so hopefully that helps too 😂
I was going to store feed in metal cans inside coop or run area but someone said storing in metal cans can get condensation as well?
Any thoughts on this??
I keep feed in metal trash can outside but in shade. I had to cover handle on the top as it rained in rivets attaching handle to lid. I also have feed in shed and they both fare the same. The only problem I had was rain ( before I covered lid ) would get feed wet and that's VERY BAD. Then I had mold.

It is narrow but we were trying to keep it simple to clean and maintain and it’s only 8 chickens so 32 sq foot everyone said was plenty of space. They will only be in there at night to sleep unless it’s really bad weather and they have to go in but they have a large run area

I'm late to the party, but reading through these are my thoughts:

It is sufficient for 8 chickens if they already get along being the operative phrase. It doesn't leave you much flexibility for expanding your flock, quarantining new additions, raising replacement chicks, etc. I know it has been mentioned, but I would consider expanding your run if at all possible to: distribute the poop over a larger area and give the birds more room to look for bugs. If you can't it will still work, but a covered/enclosed run with some sort of bedding would probably be ideal to keep poop dry and prevent you from having a mudhole when it rains.

Another thing to consider is that you do not have 32 sqft of space in your coop. You've got closer to 25 that is useable to the birds when you take out 7" of each dimension to account for the framing. I think it'll still work, but you don't have the margin you may have been planning on. I had 3-4 birds in a coop that was less than half that size and it worked because they had outdoor food/water and a 25x30 run + they occasionally jumped the fence.

Back
Top Bottom