Bumblefoot - Calling All Crunchy Natural Folks

Rowena
love.gif

I did put a splash of milk in my coffee too but but that was after I poured some more to warm my first cup up. I wanted to savor the taste of the butter and oil first.
@Homesteadin do you do your butter and c oil individual cup or whole pot?

Hows Bobbie today and Jo?
I'd keep a close eye on your 2 dominant ones if you put them with Daisy they can seriously rip out feathers and injure her.

I did put a splash of milk in my coffee too but but that was after I poured some more to warm my first cup up. I wanted to savor the taste of the butter and oil first.
@Homesteadin
  do you do your butter and c oil individual cup or whole pot?

Hows Bobbie today and Jo?
I'd keep a close eye on your 2 dominant ones if you put them with Daisy they can seriously rip out feathers and injure her.

We do one tablespoon of c. oil and one tsp. butter per cup of coffee, Nice n' rich :)

Yeah they were pulling feathers out yesterday whenever they got the chance. Do ducks ever get more competitive woth each other when they feel food is scarce? I was already thinking we need to start giving them some extra because the forgeable plants and bugs are starting to die away.

Picked up our stove today! Had to drive over three hours total to get it, and we blew a gasket or something heading home; going to have to have the vehicle looked at.... but, the stove is here!

We do one tablespoon of c. oil and one tsp. butter per cup of coffee, Nice n' rich
smile.png

Yeah they were pulling feathers out yesterday whenever they got the chance. Do ducks ever get more competitive woth each other when they feel food is scarce? I was already thinking we need to start giving them some extra because the forgeable plants and bugs are starting to die away.

Picked up our stove today! Had to drive over three hours total to get it, and we blew a gasket or something heading home; going to have to have the vehicle looked at.... but, the stove is here!
I keep feed out continually during day light especially for my egg layers but all get to eat.Always have.
Some how you need to shake up the pecking order. Move the 2 dominant ones around and keep them separate from each other. After a few days put one or the other back with the flock then try the other one a few days later. Maybe keep rotating until they and you are so confused you aren't sure who goes where. {just kidding but it might work}lol

Okay had dh try some coffee with just the butter in it[organic butter mind you] he said he didn't like it tasted oily.
hmm.png

I enjoyed it again today with both.
smile.png

Oh sorry you blew a gasket in your vehicle. what ever that is hope it won't cost a fortune to get it fixed. . But yay for getting your stove and looks like just in the nick of time don't know about yall but we're to be in the 20's this weekend with our first frost.
hide.gif

It is definitely time to increase feed! My flock is eating noticeably more this week.

I keep feed out continually during day light especially for my egg layers but all get to eat.Always have.
Some how you need to shake up the pecking order. Move the 2 dominant ones around and keep them separate from each other. After a few days put one or the other back with the flock then try the other one a few days later. Maybe keep rotating until they and you are so confused you aren't sure who goes where. {just kidding but it might work}lol

Okay had dh try some coffee with just the butter in it[organic butter mind you] he said he didn't like it tasted oily.
hmm.png

I enjoyed it again today with both.
smile.png

Oh sorry you blew a gasket in your vehicle. what ever that is hope it won't cost a fortune to get it fixed. . But yay for getting your stove and looks like just in the nick of time don't know about yall but we're to be in the 20's this weekend with our first frost.
hide.gif

Do either of you ferment your food? We do and it does make it go farther, but I still am not exactly sure how much they need per bird when it's fermented as most everything I find on fermenting instructions pertains to chickens. How much would you say each of your birds eat dry if you do dry food?

Alright Miss Lydia, looks like I have a week or two of juggle-the-ducks ahead of me. :)

It is chilly here today - yesterday was 80-something though! Colorado weather is so all over the place it's crazy, especially during the winter. Sometimes we wear shorts on Christmas day, sometimes we're snowed in and the cars won't start because the temps are extremely low. And whichever way it is, it will be completely opposite the very next day, lol. Anyway, supposedly we are supposed to get our first snow next Monday or Tuesday - hoping the guy installing our stove can do it before then!

Last edited:
Do either of you ferment your food? We do and it does make it go farther, but I still am not exactly sure how much they need per bird when it's fermented as most everything I find on fermenting instructions pertains to chickens. How much would you say each of your birds eat dry if you do dry food?

Alright Miss Lydia, looks like I have a week or two of juggle-the-ducks ahead of me. :)

It is chilly here today - yesterday was 80-something though! Colorado weather is so all over the place it's crazy, especially during the winter. Sometimes we wear shorts on Christmas day, sometimes we're snowed in and the cars won't start because the temps are extremely low. And whichever way it is, it will be completely opposite the very next day, lol. Anyway, supposedly we are supposed to get our first snow next Monday or Tuesday - hoping the guy installing our stove can do it before then!
I do ferment my flocks feed this is 3 rd year this month, I have 25 in my flock so I can pretty much gauge how much to put out in each feeder, but it is trial at first. Just put out a few cups at first and see how long it takes them to eat it. Sometimes mine finish their feed up by mid day and I give them more and sometimes there is some left [depends on time of year too] over at days end and I bring it in cover with a towel and put it back out the next day I only keep it over 1 night then if there is any left in that particular feeder I toss it. In winter I use heated dog bowl to keep the FF from freezing after I put it out for them, My house usually smells like an Italian restaurant in winter because I have to do the fermenting inside and I add Garlic and Oregano to their ff.I'll get you the recipe i use it is very easy..

Juggling ducks is fun
hmm.png
I have to do it often and geese too. I should join the circus most times that is what I feel like I have. then add the chickens into it . LOL

Oh wouldn't that be great to get your wood stove hooked up and ready do go before the first snow. No snow here yet , but anything is possible with the crazy weather which seems to get crazier.
What part of Col are yall in NSEW, I picture your winters extreme. I guess in a way they are if you can wear shorts in Dec sometimes.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/no-strain-hot-water-easy-fermented-feed-method-w-video

I use a 3 gal food grade bucket[1.00 from bakery at grocery store] and put it about 2/3 full then I mix my hot water and ACV with mother in it together pour over top and mix real well I use half cup of ACV to 1 gal of hot water after mixing I put a hand towel over top and use a heavy duty rubber band to hold it in pace sit it out of the way usually in the hall where I have a small open closet this bucket gets half empty I start a fresh one so I always have a bucket going. I don't like soupy ff that has to be strained I started out using it that way, if I use to much hot water I will add more feed next day if it hasn't absorbed it all I like it the consistency of corn meal before going in the pan or a little moister. I usually leave a small amount of ff in bottom of bucket too to help start the next batch.

Last edited:
I do ferment my flocks feed this is 3 rd year this month, I have 25 in my flock so I can pretty much gauge how much to put out in each feeder, but it is trial at first. Just put out a few cups at first and see how long it takes them to eat it. Sometimes mine finish their feed up by mid day and I give them more and sometimes there is some left [depends on time of year too] over at days end and I bring it in cover with a towel and put it back out the next day I only keep it over 1 night then if there is any left in that particular feeder I toss it. In winter I use heated dog bowl to keep the FF from freezing after I put it out for them, My house usually smells like an Italian restaurant in winter because I have to do the fermenting inside and I add Garlic and Oregano to their ff.I'll get you the recipe i use it is very easy..

Juggling ducks is fun
hmm.png
I have to do it often and geese too. I should join the circus most times that is what I feel like I have. then add the chickens into it . LOL

Oh wouldn't that be great to get your wood stove hooked up and ready do go before the first snow. No snow here yet , but anything is possible with the crazy weather which seems to get crazier.
What part of Col are yall in NSEW, I picture your winters extreme. I guess in a way they are if you can wear shorts in Dec sometimes.

Oh boy, I didn't think about how the FF could freeze in the wintertime; we only made provisions for keeping the water from freezing - guess I better get a heated dog bowl for the food! I would love your recipe, Miss Lydia. I am sure your birds are pretty disease-resistant with that garlic and oregano as a part of their everyday diet!

Haha, you must be pretty good and running a bird-circus :p

We are in eastern CO, just east of the Rockies. We live about an hour southeast of Denver. Our winters are extreme yet not - more like they are extremely unpredictable, because we get a ton of sunshine so a big day of snow will be almost completely melted the next day (or even the same day!) sometimes. It's fun, though - we don't have to worry too much about no break from the freezing snow and cold. Although we are supposed to have that "El Nino" winter this year...

Back
Top Bottom