Bumblefoot - Calling All Crunchy Natural Folks

I have one that I have been trying to break for 5 full days now after she has been on the nest for close to 50 days, come on get over it please.  I take her out in the morning close the door she runs around chasing everyone acting nutty then late afternoon I open the door she runs back in and jumps in her shaving her nest has been messed with since I cleaned in there today, No egg and never has been. I want her to molt and get it over with.

I put 8qt into the bucket to make my ff I add to that 4 tab of Garlic and 3 tab of Oregano  this is just my own recipe not something I saw somewhere. My math is awful so if you can figure that out. maybe for 6 cups a teaspoon of each ? add or take away mine don't seem to mind eating Italian lol

Boy Jo is not being nice, you'd think he'd be so happy about having another girl to shower his affections on, Do you let them free range? just wondering how he is with her then?  Or is when they are all penned that he picks on her?

I think my hen is doing great her bumble is gone and foot looks good.

I wonder if there is some sort of record for how many days straight a duck was broody - I bet your gal is either about to break it or already has wow! And I am so gald your hen is all better - woohoo! That one I was concerned about was better really fast. The bumble was real small so I am sure I caught it super early. I am glad she didn't do a better job at hiding the ailment.

Yes our ducks free roam our property during the day. And yes Jo is mean to her no matter what way I put them. :he I'd say there's a TEENSY bit of progress; he just charges at her now and makes her run a little when she's comes near enough and he used to seek her out constantly and pull out feathers every chance he'd get. Here's a pic of Daisy out with a few of the ladies for an early evening driveway forage. I joke that they like to go check the mail. :)

I put a teaspoon of oregano and a tsp or garlic powder in the food to be fermented tonight. We'll see if our birds have an affinity for Italian tomorrow. :pop

Last edited:
I wonder if there is some sort of record for how many days straight a duck was broody - I bet your gal is either about to break it or already has wow! And I am so gald your hen is all better - woohoo! That one I was concerned about was better really fast. The bumble was real small so I am sure I caught it super early. I am glad she didn't do a better job at hiding the ailment.

Yes our ducks free roam our property during the day. And yes Jo is mean to her no matter what way I put them.
he.gif
I'd say there's a TEENSY bit of progress; he just charges at her now and makes her run a little when she's comes near enough and he used to seek her out constantly and pull out feathers every chance he'd get. Here's a pic of Daisy out with a few of the ladies for an early evening driveway forage. I joke that they like to go check the mail.
smile.png

I put a teaspoon of oregano and a tsp or garlic powder in the food to be fermented tonight. We'll see if our birds have an affinity for Italian tomorrow.
pop.gif
I bet they'll like it but will probably ask for Italian bread to go with it.
wink.png
and salad.

Sounds like some progress is being made then.and if she is laying I'd say she isn't too bothered by his acting like a....
smack.gif
well you know what I mean.

I am enjoying my new flavored coffee every day.

I bet they'll like it but will probably ask for Italian bread to go with it.  ;) and salad.

Sounds like some progress is being made then.and if she is laying I'd say she isn't too bothered by his acting like a....:smack well you know what I mean. 

I am enjoying my new flavored coffee every day. 

They scarfed it down in the usual duck-like, food-slinging fashion! Italian food, bread and salad... I could go for that myself.

I decided to let Jo not be locked up today, then quickly changed my mind - he started yanking out her feathers again. Arrrrgh!! Surely he has got to get tired of this sometime soon.

So glad you're enjoying the coffee! My husband and I used to like starbucks and now we can't even stand it. Our fatty coffee tastes so much better. And speaking of which, I saw this earlier this morning and if you have my kind of sense of humor it will make you laugh :D

They scarfed it down in the usual duck-like, food-slinging fashion! Italian food, bread and salad... I could go for that myself.

I decided to let Jo not be locked up today, then quickly changed my mind - he started yanking out her feathers again. Arrrrgh!! Surely he has got to get tired of this sometime soon.

So glad you're enjoying the coffee! My husband and I used to like starbucks and now we can't even stand it. Our fatty coffee tastes so much better. And speaking of which, I saw this earlier this morning and if you have my kind of sense of humor it will make you laugh
big_smile.png

That's hilarious.
@Homesteadin how are you and everyone doing? all bumble foot cleared up?

Hi Miss Lydia!

No more bumbles, hooray. And Joe is still a stinker to Daisy, but I think some marginal improvement has been going on. Funny thing is whenever I lock him up to separate him from her she lays by the fence where he is the WHOLE TIME while all the other ladies wander off foraging.

All your gals still doing well?

Hi Miss Lydia!

No more bumbles, hooray. And Joe is still a stinker to Daisy, but I think some marginal improvement has been going on. Funny thing is whenever I lock him up to separate him from her she lays by the fence where he is the WHOLE TIME while all the other ladies wander off foraging.

All your gals still doing well?
That Joe.. lol Hopefully the testosterone is beginning to wane with him and he'll mellow out some. At least he has an ardent admirer
My chickens foot healed up nicely thanks for asking.

Good to see you.

Hi again, friends. I have a question about our Daisy gal. Jo seems to be getting along with her better for the most part and that's good! But for a while now she's been dropping feathers like crazy. The lady I got her from said she just finished molting before I took her. At first I thought it was because of one of the other ducks' (namely Jo) biting them out, but when I watch her preen they just slough off. I took a look at the areas where her feathers are thinnest (shoulders) to see if I could find any bugs or a skin condition but didn't see anything. Is it possible she could still be molting more? Stress? Do I need to look somewhere else on her to find the cause? I don't think she has been laying consistently.

Hi again, friends. I have a question about our Daisy gal. Jo seems to be getting along with her better for the most part and that's good! But for a while now she's been dropping feathers like crazy. The lady I got her from said she just finished molting before I took her. At first I thought it was because of one of the other ducks' (namely Jo) biting them out, but when I watch her preen they just slough off. I took a look at the areas where her feathers are thinnest (shoulders) to see if I could find any bugs or a skin condition but didn't see anything. Is it possible she could still be molting more? Stress? Do I need to look somewhere else on her to find the cause? I don't think she has been laying consistently.
@Homesteadin Sure sounds like molt maybe before you took her she was having a mini molt but mine are molting like cray right now. Does she have swimming water? usually as long as they can bath they aren't bother by parasites. Happy to hear Jo is accepting Daisy better. They usually don't lay when in molt.

Back
Top Bottom