Bumblefoot - Calling All Crunchy Natural Folks

My ducklings grew their first set of adult feathers, and then not long afterward, molted and lost them all. I was not expecting that!!!

So if she's young, maybe that.

Most worrisome is that sometimes toxins can cause feather loss. But if she is otherwise feeling fine, I doubt that's it.

@Homesteadin
           Sure sounds like molt maybe before you took her she was having a mini molt but mine are molting like cray right now. Does she have swimming water? usually as long as they can bath they aren't bother by parasites.  Happy to hear Jo is accepting Daisy better. They usually don't lay when in molt. 

Our big kiddie pool (their pond) got a few holes we can't patch so we haven't had swimming water for them for a couple weeks. I've been meaning to get another but have been slow-moving on that since we'll be dealing with it icing over through the winter anyway. Unless I buy a de-icer. I should go ahead and grab a pool this weekend though. It snowed here the day before yesterday and by noon when the sun came out there were more white Daisy feathers on the ground than snow!

My ducklings grew their first set of adult feathers, and then not long afterward, molted and lost them all.  I was not expecting that!!!

So if she's young, maybe that.

Most worrisome is that sometimes toxins can cause feather loss.  But if she is otherwise feeling fine, I doubt that's it.

She is a year and a half old, so maybe that's a possibility? I've been surprised so far that my young ones that hatched this past spring have yet to molt from what I can tell. Do they molt once a year starting from when they hatch or every year before winter?

As far as I know toxins would not be a factor unless she's getting into something I don't know about. Speaking of which, our muscovies were caught sneaking into the garage each day eating the cat food we put out for our mouser kitties - stinkers!

She is a year and a half old, so maybe that's a possibility? I've been surprised so far that my young ones that hatched this past spring have yet to molt from what I can tell. Do they molt once a year starting from when they hatch or every year before winter?

As far as I know toxins would not be a factor unless she's getting into something I don't know about. Speaking of which, our muscovies were caught sneaking into the garage each day eating the cat food we put out for our mouser kitties - stinkers!
My Ducks and chickens love dog kibble [Lamb and Rice] it has really helped with molt. Since I only have Scovys I can't say how other domestics molt but the big molt here is after breeding and egg laying cease for the year and that was in late Oct. so they are finishing up now. You won't notice the "big" molt till after their first year

Last edited:
Our big kiddie pool (their pond) got a few holes we can't patch so we haven't had swimming water for them for a couple weeks. I've been meaning to get another but have been slow-moving on that since we'll be dealing with it icing over through the winter anyway. Unless I buy a de-icer. I should go ahead and grab a pool this weekend though. It snowed here the day before yesterday and by noon when the sun came out there were more white Daisy feathers on the ground than snow!

All kiddie pools are put up for the year here now they get cement mixing tubs and wash tubs to wash in look at my avatar that is Sam my big gander having one of his many baths daily. Once it gets below freezing and stays I will only bring out the cement tubs when it get into the 40's. easy to dump after they all get through with their baths.

Last edited:
Sounds like I'll have 6 birds going into their first molt next year then - I will remember that it's a good idea to give them kibble during that time! Maybe I'll try to give some to Daisy now, too.

I love the picture of Sam bathing in that tub!! I didn't think of filling up smaller things here and there that they can just get themselves into to have a little wash up. Poor ducks of ours have gone quite a while now without a bath :-/

Sounds like I'll have 6 birds going into their first molt next year then - I will remember that it's a good idea to give them kibble during that time! Maybe I'll try to give some to Daisy now, too.

I love the picture of Sam bathing in that tub!! I didn't think of filling up smaller things here and there that they can just get themselves into to have a little wash up. Poor ducks of ours have gone quite a while now without a bath :-/
It's amazing what they can fit into. lol I saw a pic I think on the Muscovy thereat of ducks in a wheel barrel bathing I'd be a little worried about them getting in an out though.

I have to put scrap piece of board with a heavy rock on top over half of my heated buckets because I have caught my girls using them as hot tubs.

It's amazing what they can fit into. lol   I saw a pic I think on the Muscovy thereat of ducks in a wheel barrel bathing I'd be a little worried about them getting in an out though.

I have to put scrap piece of board with a heavy rock on top  over half of my heated buckets because I have caught my girls using them as hot tubs. 

Lol they're really on the lookout! We really want to build a small pond in the ground by digging a spot out and lining it with a pool liner. Just would like to figure out an inexpensive way to keep the water clean or at least keep it moving. Don't want it to just turn into a built-in muck pit.

Do you mean cotton balls? not sure what your meaning by pads. Only thing you don't want nasty to get to wound once it is open one reason I said no stick pads. Not sure if masking tape will hold or not you'll just have to try what you have just keep anything from sticking to the skin.     Scab should pull off fairly easy if ready don't force too much  or more healthy skin might get pulled too.

Do not use masking tape. Buy vet tape at the chemist and get a non adhesive pad. We went through a severe bumble foot from an adopted duck.
12 weeks antibiotics and 3 surgeries. All good now. He was a pekin. There is a substance in masking tape that causes an irritation. When it is open, wash out with chlohexadine broken down

Back
Top Bottom