Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
I did the surgery on Friday. First time sigh poor baby. In trying to let it air dry but it looks bad. Ive been wrapping with triple antibiotic and soaking in Epsom salt Please take a look at these pics and let me know if its normal and what I can do. Pic above and below

Please try hydrogen peroxide. It will kill the germs without harming the chicken. Soak the foot in it, you won't be disappointed. With giving the chicken antibiotics, you have to replace the good flora. Giving them some kefir for several days in a row will do wonders for their health and digestion.

LibertyChick

If you think it's not going to get better with your antibiotic ointment and epsom salt, you could try antibiotics from a vet although I know it can be expensive. When my hen had bumblefoot, I took her to the vet who cleaned it out for me for $48 and then told me the antibiotics would be around $100. I did not buy the antibiotics from her and she said the liquid penicillin you can by from the farm store would not take care of that type of injury. I tried it anyway and it did not work. I hope you find something that works for you.

If you think it's not going to get better with your antibiotic ointment and epsom salt, you could try antibiotics from a vet although I know it can be expensive. When my hen had bumblefoot, I took her to the vet who cleaned it out for me for $48 and then told me the antibiotics would be around $100. I did not buy the antibiotics from her and she said the liquid penicillin you can by from the farm store would not take care of that type of injury. I tried it anyway and it did not work. I hope you find something that works for you.

Seriously, $148, yikes!!! Hydrogen peroxide is $3 and will not harm their intestinal flora. They need the good flora in their body. Use kefir to give them awesome probiotics and the probiotics will kill the bad guys in their system.

LibertyChick

Hello, can you show some pictures after the surgery?...how it all got better?...i'm very skeptic about doing it...I tried today and I got scared because of the amount of blood.

And another question...can it get better for itself? (sorry for my english, hope you understood what I tried to say)

Last edited:
Sorry I don't have pics I am still getting stuff out of my roosters foot it can be a process depending on how bad it is. When you tried the surgery did you have his foot under running water it helps a lot with the blood don't worry they wont bleed to death. When you get done digging it all out pack it good with neosporine and and wrap it up so no dirt can get in and cause another infection. I have been applying more neo and changing his wrap everyday since I did the surgery, don't use the neo with pain killer in it I read on here that it is not good for chickens.

What is wrong with hydrogen peroxide? Its great for killing all kinds of germs, is non-toxic and won't poison your chicken with toxic petrochemicals. Anything you use on your chicken, in their food or water transfers into the meat ans eggs.

May I ask what you are using for your chicken's pain? Seems cruel to cut into their foot without giving them something for the pain. You can use homeopathic Arnica Montana. I actually used it on a rooster I used to have. He picked up the pellets and dropped them over and over again. But if you cut a grape in half and a little slit in the half grape, you can drop the pellet in the grape slit and they will take the whole thing at one time.

LibertyChick

Peroxide is good for an initial cleaning, but is caustic to healthy tissues.
Are you saying 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide is caustic to healthy tissues? Or hydrogen peroxide diluted down to 3% (1 part H2O2 & 11 parts distilled water) is caustic to healthy tissues?

Yes, 35% is caustic but 3% is not. You can actually put 85ppm H2O2 in livestock drinking water. I think that calculates down to 20 drops of 35% food grade H2O2 but not 100% sure on the calculations. If you want to dilute it further you can use 5 drops of 35% in 1 gallon of water. I could not taste it at the 85ppm and certainly could not taste it with the 5 drops in the gallon of water.

LibertyChick

Last edited:
What is wrong with hydrogen peroxide? Its great for killing all kinds of germs, is non-toxic and won't poison your chicken with toxic petrochemicals. Anything you use on your chicken, in their food or water transfers into the meat ans eggs.

May I ask what you are using for your chicken's pain? Seems cruel to cut into their foot without giving them something for the pain. You can use homeopathic Arnica Montana. I actually used it on a rooster I used to have. He picked up the pellets and dropped them over and over again. But if you cut a grape in half and a little slit in the half grape, you can drop the pellet in the grape slit and they will take the whole thing at one time.

LibertyChick
I use peroxide as well. I can't see peroxide affecting healthy tissue because it kills by oxygenating anaerobic bacteria. If it's a surface sore or cut, I use full strength. If deep, I'll use 1/2 or 1/4 strength as a rinse, then apply antibiotic ointment. I've learned this from being a NICU nurse for 20 years. (sick newborns).

I've learned betadine is wonderful as a scrub or cleaner, but does nothing on an open wound.

Back
Top Bottom