I have done alot of "surgeries" on bumblefoot. I'm glad your vet knew to squeeze the kernal out. Those scabs look like healing. Personally, I bandage if there's an open sore, and wet bandage if something needs to come out. After everything is closed up-like yours, I just put them back in the yard. She should be out and about hardening up those soles again.

You should see the scabs looking like they're improving like getting smaller. There should be no swelling. He sounds really healthy to me.

Hope this helps.
Hi!

First I want to say, the chicken in your pfp is beautiful!

I’m so glad to hear the scabs look like they’re healing!

This is were I’m conflicted though, because before I made this post, I literally took the whole week while his feet healed to read every thread on this website on bumblefoot (there was a lot of great information), but I noticed everyone has such conflicting opinions on weather to keep the foot wrapped until the scab is completely gone, or to allow the feet to be free after the new healthy scab has formed.

Even official articles on here don’t really mention how long to keep the feet wrapped, it seems to be such a different response on every thread I read.

I feel so confused, because I would love to be able to let him back outside with his two girls (I know he misses his flock a lot) and not worry about changing bandages for the next three weeks.

But I’m so worried it’ll get reinfected (he loves to scratch and dig, he can make some good size holes in sand of the chicken run) we’re not suppose to get much rain in the next weeks, and their run is covered (so I’m not to concern with the feet getting wet) but I’m still not sure what to do…but Im also terrible at wrapping feet, so I feel even if his feet were wrapped, sand might find a way in anyways :/

I heard about the cord pad trick, but I did have a few questions that didn’t seem to be mentioned in the original thread, can you still add the SSD cream with corn pad on?
And do you put the sticky side against the skin of foot, like you would on a human, or on the vet wrap?
You would stick the pad to the healthy parts of the foot. If the foot pad is big enough and the scab in the center you can use the pad like you would for a corn on your foot. If the scab is in a weird place you might have to cut up a pad and arrange the pieces around the scab. Padding the healthy part of the foot pad will also help push any remaining pus towards the scab. The scab area should be clear so you could continue using the cream if you think it's helping, but I personally haven't found it to be useful. I generally try to keep the foot clean but also dry (soft feet are more prone to injury) and since he's on antibiotics I don't think you have to worry too much about a new infection.

Sounds like he's doing well, and I don't think you should have too much issue with him recovering from this. I would have my birds outside and their feet unwrapped at this point, but that's me.
I’m starting to wonder if I freaked myself out unnecessarily by reading way to many bumblefoot threads…and I’ve babied this rooster to much 😅

You would stick the pad to the healthy parts of the foot. If the foot pad is big enough and the scab in the center you can use the pad like you would for a corn on your foot. If the scab is in a weird place you might have to cut up a pad and arrange the pieces around the scab. Padding the healthy part of the foot pad will also help push any remaining pus towards the scab. The scab area should be clear so you could continue using the cream if you think it's helping, but I personally haven't found it to be useful. I generally try to keep the foot clean but also dry (soft feet are more prone to injury) and since he's on antibiotics I don't think you have to worry too much about a new infection.
Thank you for the great info! I definitely think a corn pad is a better way to go than gauze pad, it was a challenge to get the gauze pad in between his toes.

In your opinion do you think I should continue to wrap his feet(if yes, for how long should I continue to wrap his feet)? Or Should I do a corn pad, and no bandage? So the feet don’t get too soft but the scab doesn’t get reinfected?

I’m so sorry for all the questions, it’s been quite a week of reading every thread on bumblefoot, and confusion.

Thank you for the great info! I definitely think a corn pad is a better way to go than gauze pad, it was a challenge to get the gauze pad in between his toes.

In your opinion do you think I should continue to wrap his feet(if yes, for how long should I continue to wrap his feet)? Or Should I do a corn pad, and no bandage? So the feet don’t get too soft but the scab doesn’t get reinfected?

I’m so sorry for all the questions, it’s been quite a week of reading every thread on bumblefoot, and confusion.
No worries, I know the feeling well...

The corn pads do need a wrap over them or they fall off and/or the chicken thinks they are annoying, pecks them off, and possibly eats one (not good).

As for whether he really needs his feet bandaged.... I have had very minor bumblefoot scabs heal without bandaging, but I've also had cases where the scabs would not go away without wrapping (and I'm lazy enough to have waited months and months). Sometimes the scabs become like bedsores, unable to heal while under pressure and bandaging is a must or it just sort of festers. Your guy *might* be able to heal without bandages, but with my own girls I've decided it's easiest to play it safe and just bandage until the scab is healed.

If you get the wrapping down and the ground is dry enough I'd let him be outside with the flock. The top layer or two of wrap will get dirty, but I've always found it stayed clean (when dry!) at the skin. It's a lot easier to wrap if you have someone who can hold him for you, but he should also just get used to the process. If he starts getting more stressed than annoyed, I'd keep him wrapped in the towel but let him calm down before continuing. Treats when it's all done.

Update post: while cleaning her feet today,and getting the dirt off, I noticed the old (healthily) scabs must of fallen off in the last few days, and now she has fresh healthy skin where the scabs used to be Yaaaaay! I think it’s safe to say we beat the bumblefoot!

But now there’s a tiny issue…. I think with the constant cleaning her feet, and picking her up, the trust between us has been damaged, to say the least.

Before she used to jump up on my shoulder, and chase after me for the meal worm bag in my hand. Now she kinda runs alway from me, and getting her to even come near me is a bit of a challenge.

It’s makes me a little sad, but I know I had to treat her feet for her health, and i also know I have to do regular foot checks from now on, so this doesn’t happen again in the future.

But does anyone happen to have any tips on how to get my chicken to trust me again? I tried one of her favorite treats, meal worms, but she still was hesitant to eat out of my hand (witch is unusual for her) I miss my little shoulder bird buddy 😩

Back
Top Bottom