Butchering Cortunix Quail??

Quote:
hmm.png
What is wrong with Coturnix, in comparison to Bobwhite?

-Kim

Quote:
I used to think all I would raise was bobwhites but in the long run it pays off more to get coturnix. Jumbos live up to their name quite well. They seem to freak out less than my bobwhites and the fact that they mature so quickly and can churn out more quail all that much sooner has me convinced to stick with raising more corties over bobs. I see no real advantage that bobwhites hold over corties.

Dont get me wrong, coturnix are good eating birds, Ive eat and raised many, But most anyone that has eat both on a regular basis prefers the bobwhite..And its true it cost more to grow out bobs, the bobs have a higher market value..grown coturnix go for about $1.50 while the Bobs $3.50 to $4.00

Quote:
Why? I'm just wondering what the big difference is, that's all. I would have thought quail is quail.

Just like I wouldn't think there was a difference between eating different types of chickens.

-Kim

Sounds like it's pretty much the same as grouse (spruce hen/prairie chicken).
hmm.png
I haven't had the need to do it yet, as I can't seem to keep my quail around. I just sold almost all my 5 week olds, and only have 4 day olds now...
roll.png
I do want to try the pickling, though.

Same here. I put up an ad today to sell the extra chicks that hatched out for $1 each and even if I don't hold back any I won't be able to keep up with the demand. My past adults I've sold for around $5. I won't bother selling them for less than that. If I can't sell the extra males then I butcher them. I use the feathers in crafts,we eat the meat and fish go crazy for the innards, which means we're usually able to have a nice fish dinner shortly after butcher day
smile.png

Likewise - I sell the 1-3 wk olds for $3 each, 3-7 week olds are $5, and adults are even more.
We had to put a couple of birds down (chicken chicks and quail) and we found that they make excellent shrimp bait...
wink.png

FINALLY!!!! The truth comes out!!
barnie.gif

I posted a couple threads asking how much to price my Coturnix and NEVER got a reply.
idunno.gif

LOL Thanks guys for finally answering my question.
lau.gif

-Kim

Last edited:
Quote:
Wonderful way to put the bird to use. Too bad we couldn't use our's for shrimp bait like AK..
hmm.png
I would love to trade my dead birds for yummy yummy shrimp.
lol.png

-Kim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom